Fri, Jul 15, 2011 - Page 7 News List

Twenty-seven-day uprising in Venezuelan prison ends

‘TRIUMPH OF PEACE’:The rebellion was resolved after dialogue and a guarantee of the rights of the prisoners, all of whom appeared to be healthy, but dehydrated


A prison uprising that caused seven deaths ended peacefully on its 27th day on Wednesday, when hundreds of inmates emerged from the embattled Rodeo II prison after negotiations with officials, Venezuelan authorities said.

Justice Minister Tareck El Aissami said on state TV that the National Guard had taken control of the prison from inmates and that “we’ve managed for all of them to come down to the patios.”

“We celebrate the triumph of peace, dialogue,” El Aissami said.

He said the standoff had been resolved after long talks with the rebelling inmates, including a guarantee from authorities that the prisoners would not be harmed.

Information Minister Andres Izarra wrote via Twitter that 831 inmates had come out of the prison.

After regaining control of the facility, officials began searching for inmates’ weapons, El Aissami said.

Hundreds of inmates had been holed up inside the prison just outside the capital of Caracas since June 17 while armed prisoners resisted authorities, but officials have said only about 60 armed inmates were leading the uprising, preventing troops from entering and holding other prisoners hostage.

El Aissami said some of the rebellious inmates decided to end the uprising and turned themselves over to National Guard troops.

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, in a message on Twitter, congratulated authorities for peacefully bringing an end to the standoff.

He called it an “example of supreme respect for human rights,” while also saying the ordeal has been cause for “great self-criticism.”

Grisel Zorrilla, a spokeswoman for prisoners’ relatives, said that the inmates were led from their cellblocks and were organized into groups on a patio of the prison compound.

She said authorities were then taking the men to bathe and provide them food and water. She said the inmates were healthy despite showing signs of dehydration.

“They have been treated fairly,” Zorrilla said in a telephone interview. “They are a bit dehydrated, but the boys have maintained their strength.”

Zorrilla said she entered the prison along with 19 other relatives to monitor the actions of prison authorities.

The inmates began the standoff after thousands of soldiers raided adjacent El Rodeo I prison in a weapons search days after a bloody riot that left 22 dead, including one prisoner. The raid set off gunfights between troops and inmates that killed one prisoner and two soldiers and wounded 20 troops. Four more inmates who escaped were slain by soldiers, authorities reported on Wednesday.

Carlos Nieto, director of Window To Freedom, a human rights organizations that follows prison issues, said a peaceful end to the conflict was made possible by negotiations between leaders of rebellious inmates and authorities. An agreement was finally reached, because officials guaranteed the rights of the prisoners, he said.

The surrender of an inmate who purportedly orchestrated the uprising also helped settle the dispute, Nieto said. The inmate told authorities that another prisoner leader, Valentin Yordis Lopez, who goes by the nickname “Oriente,” escaped from the lockup.

El Aissami confirmed that several inmates, including Lopez, escaped after slipping through broken bars surrounding the perimeter of the prison yard. Four of those who escaped were killed by National Guard troops as they scrambled up a forested hill surrounding the prison, El Aissami said.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top