Russian divers on Wednesday broadened their search for those drowned in a pleasure boat disaster almost 200km down the Volga River after recovering more than 100 bodies.
The search for bodies of passengers who drowned outside the ship was broadened to cover 190km downstream, the emergencies ministry said, as rescuers continued to comb islands near the scene.
“We will work until we are sure that all the bodies have been found,” Russian Deputy Emergencies Minister Alexander Chupriyan said in televised comments. “The divers are working in absolutely extreme conditions.”
Divers raised the 104th body from the wreck, with the bodies of 23 children recovered so far, the emergencies ministry said in a statement.
Russia’s Investigative Committee said on Tuesday that negligence on the part of the tour operator “led to the death of at least 116 people,” although that toll is expected to climb.
Authorities arrested the director of the company that rented the boat and a ship registrar who certified it, placing them in pre-trial detention.
Russian Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov slammed the accident as “lawlessness and a crime,” saying the ship, the Bulgaria, had a “whole bunch of violations,” the Interfax news agency reported.
Russian media lamented the safety shortcuts that apparently led to the sinking of the boat, built in 1955 in what was then Czechoslovakia, which had one non-functioning engine and was designed to carry only 140 passengers.
The accident “shows the logic of neglecting safety in the name of profit,” the Vedomosti business daily wrote.
“Disrepair and overloading increased the risk of capsizing even in moderately bad conditions. They gambled on luck going their way,” it said.
The Komsomolskaya Pravda tabloid interviewed the director of a cruise company who said he refused to hire the Bulgaria this year out of safety concerns.
The ship required “investment of 7 million rubles [US$248,000] to make it safe to sail, so we decided not to get involved,” said the shipping company director, Roman Kalmykov.
“The owners extracted profit while turning a blind eye to safety rules,” Komsomolskaya Pravda wrote in an editorial. “People die ... because of their tacit acceptance that things are not done the right way.”
Investigators are questioning the crew of two ships to see if a crime was committed, after survivors said they waved at two passing vessels while waiting to be rescued, the Izvestia daily reported.
The captain of a ship that passed the scene admitted that he saw life rafts, but said he decided not to sail over because the maneuver would have taken too long, Izvestia reported.
The captain of the Dunaisky-66 tugboat reported to his management that “rafts were visible, but there were no people to be seen on the surface of the water,” it wrote.
The captain of the ship that picked up survivors, the Arabella, defended the tug-boat’s decision in televised comments, saying he told the captain of the slow-moving boat to move on because it could have hindered the rescue operation.
An Australian university student who has never visited China and has only a modest social media following would seem an unlikely target for the Chinese government. However, when a Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman personally denounced Drew Pavlou at a news conference, it was just the next phase in an extraordinary campaign against the 21-year-old that has fueled concerns over China’s targeting of critics overseas. Pavlou first placed himself in the superpower’s sights when in July last year he organized a small sit-in at the University of Queensland, where he studies, to protest against various Chinese government policies. Since then, the Global
‘ASKED TO MOVE OUT’: Indonesian coast guard personnel argued with a Chinese vessel over territorial claims after it entered the country’s exclusive economic zone An Indonesian patrol ship confronted a Chinese coast guard vessel that spent almost three days in waters where Indonesia claims economic rights and that are near the southernmost part of China’s disputed claims to the South China Sea. The Indonesian Maritime Security Agency on Friday night detected Chinese ship 5204 entering Indonesia’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in what Indonesia calls the North Natuna Sea. The agency sent a patrol ship that closed within 1km of the Chinese coast guard vessel and they communicated to affirm their position and their nation’s claims to the area, Indonesian Maritime Security Agency head Aan Kurnia said. “We
BEFORE WINTER COMES: Snow cuts off roads into Ladakh for four months or more each year, so the crunch is on to get food, tents and high-altitude equipment to Leh From deploying mules to large transport aircraft, the Indian military has activated its entire logistics network to transport supplies to thousands of troops for a harsh winter along a bitterly disputed Himalayan border with China. In the past few months, one of India’s biggest military logistics exercises in years has brought vast quantities of ammunition, equipment, fuel, winter supplies and food into Ladakh, a region bordering Tibet that India administers as a union territory, officials said. The move was triggered by a border standoff with China in the snow deserts of Ladakh that began in May and escalated in June into hand-to-hand
Since her personal telephone number was posted online, Hong Kong democracy advocate and Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions chairperson Carol Ng has received menacing calls from strangers and been bombarded with messages calling her a “cockroach.” She is not alone. A sophisticated and shady Web site called HK Leaks has ramped up its “doxxing” — where people’s personal details are published online — of Hong Kong democracy advocates, targeting those it says have broken Hong Kong’s National Security Law. Promoted by groups linked to the Chinese Chinese Communist Party and hosted on Russia-based servers, HK Leaks has become the most prominent “doxxing”