A suicide attack yesterday struck memorial prayers for the assassinated half-brother of Afghan President Hamid Karzai, killing four people including a senior cleric in a mosque, officials said.
Afghan Interior Ministry spokesman Siddiq Siddiqi said 13 people were also wounded when the bomber blew himself up in the southern city of Kandahar, where Cabinet ministers visiting from the capital Kabul had been in attendance.
The bombing again raises the prospect of renewed instability in Kandahar, one of Afghanistan’s bloodiest battlegrounds and the birthplace of the Taliban, in the power vacuum created by the death of local powerbroker Ahmed Wali Karzai.
The head of the religious council for the southern province of Kandahar, Hikmatullah Hikmat, was among those killed yesterday, the government said.
“It was a suicide attack. Four people have been martyred and 13 injured. The dead include Maulavi Hikmatullah, head of the Kandahar Ulema council,” Siddiqi said, referring to the dead man by his religious title.
“The bombing was in a corner of the mosque. It’s a big mosque,” he said, adding that it was the venue for a service in memory of Wali Karzai, the younger half-brother of Hamid Karzai who was shot dead at home on Tuesday.
A member of the Kandahar provincial council who attended the prayers confirmed it was a suicide bombing inside the mosque.
“I saw one dead and four injured in there. The service was about to end when it happened,” Agha Lalai said.
One member of parliament who had attended the service said the government delegation included the Afghan ministers of defense, justice and public works, as well as deputy ministers from various ministries and 15 members of parliament.
After the attack, other high-ranking officials were whisked away in bullet-proof cars and police quickly sealed off the area, a reporter said.
Family members and friends crowded round the mosque and the Mirwais hospital nearby, where casualties were taken.
Officials said no one in the government party was hurt.
“We’d left the mosque to go to a hall nearby for lunch. The government delegation left [the mosque] 10 minutes before the explosion,” lawmaker Kamal Naser said.
Wali Karzai was buried by the president at a funeral which drew thousands of mourners in Kandahar on Wednesday, after he was shot dead in his study by a close friend and the commander of his personal protection force.
Memorial services were to be held for several days at the city’s mosques.
Yesterday’s attack came as the UN announced that the number of civilians killed in the Afghan war in the first half of this year rose 15 percent, putting the year on track to be the deadliest in a decade.
The disturbing rise in deaths came after the US sent thousands of extra troops into Afghanistan and said levels of violence during this year’s fighting season would be an indication of the extent to which it had worked.
The annual mid-year report by the UN mission in the country said insurgents accounted for 80 percent of all deaths and that NATO troops were responsible for 14 percent of killings, with half of all casualties caused by bomb attacks.
“A shift in the tactics of anti-government elements increased the severity of [their] attacks on Afghan civilians,” the country’s UN Human Rights Director Georgette Gagnon told a press conference in Kabul. “We saw the trend going the wrong direction.”
The report said heightened conflict in the traditional fighting areas in the south and southeast, and the spread of the insurgency to parts of the west and north, meant “civilians experienced a downward spiral in protection.”
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
ACADEMIC FREEDOM: One professor told her students to submit anonymized papers and not to record any online classes. Some US schools have announced similar steps Students at Oxford University specializing in the study of China are being asked to submit some papers anonymously to protect them from the possibility of retribution under the sweeping new security law introduced three months ago in Hong Kong. The anonymity ruling is to be applied in classes, and group tutorials are to be replaced by one-to-ones. Students are also to be warned that it will be viewed as a disciplinary offence if they tape classes or share them with outside groups. The Hong Kong National Security Law was imposed on June 30 by Beijing after more than a year of pro-democracy
Japan’s government yesterday urged people to seek help if they were struggling to cope, following Sunday’s death of the popular actress and Miss Sherlock star Yuko Takeuchi, 40. News of her death shocked the nation and follows other recent cases of Japanese celebrities taking their lives, with figures showing a recent rise in suicides. Takeuchi was a household name in Japan and had given birth to her second child in January. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato did not mention a particular case, but said that some people were struggling to cope during the COVID-19 pandemic. “There has been an uptick in the number
China on Thursday lashed out at the US at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the COVID-19 pandemic, with its envoy declaring, “Enough is enough.” Two days after US President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China’s record, US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft, also took an outraged tone — after which her Chinese counterpart showed palpable anger. “I must say, enough is enough. You have created enough troubles for the world already,” Chinese Ambassador to the UN Zhang Jun (張軍) told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference