Two weeks since its grand opening that showed off China’s hopes for a bright high-tech future, the flaghip high-speed rail line between Beijing and Shanghai has already left passengers stranded for hours on stuffy trains due to power outages.
Travelers waiting for delayed trains also found that the gleaming new stations along the line lacked snack shops and comfortable waiting rooms. An attendant told one waiting passenger to walk to a nearby village to buy toilet paper.
The express was shut down by power failures twice in 48 hours since it opened to great fanfare on June 30. A power cut on Tuesday halted 30 trains.
The first cut on Sunday was caused by lightning hitting the overhead line, while the second remained unexplained, the China Daily reported, though it could have been linked to poor wiring or improper installation.
“That malfunctions occur on such a long line when it has been operating for less than two weeks is inevitable and understandable,” the newspaper quoted Beijing Jiaotong University engineering professor Wu Junyong as saying.
“Such malfunctions will become less common after it has been operating for a while longer,” Wu said.
The train cuts travel time on the 1,318km run from the capital to China’s financial center to a mere four hours on a good day.
However, the Ministry of Railways has already decided to reduce maximum speed on the line from the promised 350kph, to reduce operating costs and in response to a corruption investigation that raised concerns over construction quality.
The power failures have been panned on popular microblogging sites. Passengers complained about being stranded for hours on trains with no air conditioning and with no one telling them what was happening.
The Beijing-Shanghai link is the latest and most feted portion of a network the government hopes will stretch more than 45,000km by the end of 2015.
The Chinese Communist Party mouthpiece the People’s Daily warned yesterday that the new Beijing-Shanghai line had to up its game.
“Just relying on high speed is not enough. We must ask: has there been enough preparation for inclement weather?” it said. “In the event of power cuts and delays, how do you take care of passengers and bear the losses?”
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
A squad of gun-toting police officers patrolled Myanmar’s sacred site of Bagan under the cover of night, taking on plunderers snatching relics from temples forsaken by tourists due to COVID-19 restrictions. Each evening as dusk falls, about 100 officers fan out across the plain of Bagan covering 50km2, sweeping flashlights over the crumbling monuments to scour for intruders. “Our security forces are patrolling day and night,” Police Lieutenant Colonel Sein Win told reporters. “We have it under control for the moment, but it’s a challenge.” The central Burmese city is strewn with more than 3,500 ancient monuments — stupas, temples, murals and sculptures