Mumbai plotter not proud
An American-Pakistani who helped plot the deadly 2008 Mumbai attacks came close on Thursday to expressing remorse for the bloody strikes in which 166 people were killed and hundreds more wounded. David Coleman Headley, who has admitted 12 terror charges arising out of the attacks on India’s financial capital, said during the Chicago trial of his friend, Tahawwur Hussain Rana, that he was no longer proud of the attacks. Toward the end of nearly three hours of cross examination, defense attorney Patrick Blegen asked Headley: “You were proud of it [the attacks] then?” “Yes,” Headley replied. “Are you still proud of it today?” Blegen asked. “No,” Headley replied without a moment’s hesitation. There was no explanation as to why he felt differently now, as the hearing then adjourned until Tuesday.
London cleans up for Games
London prostitution, strip tease bars, canal boats and the homeless are being cleared away as the city prepares to host the 2012 Olympic Games. Serious Crime Directorate 9, a unit of the Metropolitan Police, conducted 127 brothel raids since it was formed in April last year, according to police data. The City of London Corp, which governs the capital’s main financial center, voted on May 5 not to grant sexual entertainment licenses to clubs and pubs. Houseboat residents near the Olympic development site in east London say British Waterways is attempting to cleanse the area, said Nick Brown, legal officer for the National Bargee Travellers Association.
Granny allegedly robs men
Police are searching for an elderly woman who allegedly persuades young men at a mall to help carry heavy bags from her car, then kidnaps them from the parking lot and robs them. The woman, who works with two male accomplices, targets shoppers standing in bank queues at a mall in Johannesburg’s Soweto township and has struck at least twice recently, the New Age newspaper reported yesterday. “I never suspected anything wicked about the old woman as she looked like a pensioner and had a walking stick,” 18-year-old victim Kabelo Dube told the newspaper. He said he was waiting in line to deposit money at the bank when a young man approached and asked him for help unloading the old woman’s bags. He began to help with the bags, but then felt a gun pressed against his head and was ordered to get in the car, he said. The woman and her two accomplices then drove a short distance from the mall, took his money and forced him out of the car, he said.
Senior fights off mugger
An 89-year-old Australian woman who used a handbag to beat off a knife-carrying would-be robber said yesterday she would do it all again, adding she would have “killed him if I could.” The woman, known only by the pseudonym Jean, was chatting with two friends in an underground car park in Melbourne on Thursday after buying a bottle of wine to enjoy after a day’s shopping when a “grubby” man approached. When he allegedly held a knife to the throat of Jean’s 82-year-old lifelong friend and demanded her handbag, Jean acted without hesitation. “I thought he was going to kill [her] and I wasn’t going to have that, and I just hit him with my bag on his face,” Jean said. The man fled after a male passer-by came to the defense of the women, but not before their 71-year-old companion had memorized the number plate of the stolen car he used to escape.