Fri, Mar 18, 2011 - Page 6 News List

Prince shocked at devastation in Christchurch

DISASTER ZONE:Prince William will represent the queen at a memorial for the victims in Christchurch today, before departing for Australia tomorrow

AFP, CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND

Britain’s Prince William yesterday expressed shock at the devastation in earthquake-hit Christchurch after walking amid the rubble of the stricken New Zealand city to see the damage first hand.

“It’s just so sad,” the prince said as he surveyed the city center, which was razed in last month’s magnitude 6.3 earthquake, adding that “the scale of it is unbelievable.”

The prince, traveling without his fiancee, Kate Middleton, was confronted with the sight of office blocks and shops that collapsed when the Feb. 22 quake killed about 180 people and flattened much of the city.

The trip to Christchurch, which has been rocked by constant aftershocks since the Feb. 22 quake, was the first stop on a five-day tour of disaster-stricken areas of New Zealand and Australia.

St James’ Palace has described the trip as a way for the royals to show support for people in both countries struggling to recover from recent disasters.

Christchurch resident James Sykes said people in New Zealand’s second-largest city appreciated the gesture.

“I’m not what you would call a royalist, but I’m just glad that someone in his shoes decided to come down here,” Sykes said. “It shows solidarity with the people.”

Appearing relaxed and in good spirits after touching down at Christchurch airport, the prince paused to hold an onlooker’s baby and smiled as one woman yelled out: “Thank you so much for coming to Christchurch.”

The mood became more somber when the 28-year-old arrived in the city center, the area worst hit in the disaster.

He was guided into Christchurch’s “red zone,” which is still closed to the public because of the danger from damaged buildings, including the city’s landmark cathedral, reduced to a rubble-strewn shell in the disaster.

It was a stark contrast to the prince’s last visit to Christchurch in 2005 during a rugby union tour by the British and Irish Lions.

In a cruel twist of fate, Christchurch residents learned only a day before Prince William’s arrival that the city had been stripped of its matches for this year’s Rugby World Cup because damage from the quake is so extensive.

The prince toured civil defense headquarters, where emergency crews have been working around the clock to help Christchurch recover since the disaster.

Dressed in a black jacket, open-necked blue shirt and tan trousers, he mingled with overall-clad emergency workers, thanking them for the “wonderful work you are all doing.”

“Have you been picking people out of the rubble?” he asked one exhausted crew.

There was a lighter moment, however, when he met the women responsible for distributing portable toilets around the city, where the sewerage system remains crippled, forcing the local council to pump raw effluent into the sea.

“Someone’s got to do it,” he joked, posing for a photograph with the group.

Later yesterday, Prince William was to visit Greymouth, on the South Island’s rugged west coast, where 29 miners died late last year when a gas explosion tore through the Pike River colliery.

He is scheduled to hold a private meeting with the grieving families of the miners, whose bodies are still entombed in the sealed-off pit, which remains too dangerous to enter.

He will also represent Queen Elizabeth II at a national memorial for earthquake victims in Christchurch today, before departing for Australia tomorrow morning.

This story has been viewed 1286 times.
TOP top