Mon, Feb 07, 2011 - Page 4 News List

Detentions raise doubts in Egypt

REPRESSION:Human Rights Watch says the arrests of rights workers and activists shows that it is business as usual for the nation’s security services

NY Times News Service, CAIRO

Egyptian Vice President Omar Suleiman has won the blessing of both the Mubarak and Obama administrations as the leader of a political transition toward democracy in Egypt. However, human rights advocates say that so far Suleiman, who also is in charge of Egyptian intelligence, has shown no sign of discontinuing the practice of extra-legal detention of political opponents — a hallmark of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak’s nearly 30-year rule that is a central grievance of the protesters in the streets.

“We have been seriously concerned about the arrests and harassment of human rights workers and youth activists who are around the demonstrations,” said Heba Morayef, a researcher with Human Rights Watch in Cairo. “These are exactly the same practices that inspired the Jan. 25 demonstrations in the first place, not a departure.”

The continuing pattern is one reason many of the opposition leaders and protesters in the streets say they are determined not to back down until Mubarak leaves office: if he stays, they say, they risk imprisonment, torture and death.

The most notable example is the long disappearance of Wael Ghonim, a Google executive and leader of the young Internet activists who started the revolt.

Believed by many to be the anonymous host of the Facebook page that first called for the Jan. 25 protest that kicked off the Egyptian uprising, he wrote that day on his Twitter account, “We got brutally beaten up by police people,” and later, “Sleeping on the streets of Cairo, trying to feel the pain of millions of my fellow Egyptians.”

“Very worried as it seems that government is planning a war crime tomorrow against people,” he wrote two days later. “We are all ready to die.”

He disappeared soon after, and after a thorough search of area hospitals his family and human rights workers have concluded that he was taken by Egyptian security forces.

The pattern was most evident on Thursday, when the authorities rounded up scores of journalists and human rights workers all around Cairo. Though most foreigners appear to have been released, many Egyptians are still out of sight or in custody.

Around 8:45pm on Thursday, for example, a group of about 10 young online political organizers — part of the group that started the revolt with an online call to protest — sat down for dinner at a Cairo coffee shop after a meeting at the home of Mohamed ElBaradei, a Nobel-Prize-winning diplomat who has become a spokesman for the democracy movement.

One of the young organizers, Ahmed Eid, was talking on his cellphone when he saw an army officer and a police officer approaching his friends’ table.

“I thought at first that it was just to check their IDs,” he later wrote in a group e-mail to human rights workers. “When I found that it is taking longer than usual and that they had 3 plain-clothed men with them, I felt that they were going to be arrested. I decided to stand afar and follow up with them over the phone.”

After one of their wives confirmed that the group had been arrested, a human rights lawyer went to the Haram police station to inquire about their defense. He, too, was arrested. On Saturday night, a human rights worker said they had been released, but there were no details given.

The government has also detained without charges and subsequently released dozens of foreign journalists, holding many overnight.

This story has been viewed 1106 times.
TOP top