A Pakistani court yesterday barred the government from handing over a US diplomat arrested for killing two Pakistanis to the US, in a case that could create new strains between the allies.
The US has called for the immediate release of the US national, identified by Pakistani police as Raymond Davis.
He told a court that he had acted in self-defense after fleeing what he said was a robbery attempt in the eastern city of Lahore last week.
Pakistan is a crucial ally for the US in its efforts to stabilize Afghanistan, but Islamabad has to act cautiously because anti-US sentiments run high in the Muslim nation.
Acting on a petition by a lawyer requesting that the government be stopped from turning him over to the US, the Lahore High Court ruled that Davis could not be moved out of Pakistan while his case was pending in court.
“The high court has said Raymond Davis should neither be handed over to any country nor be moved out of the jurisdiction of this court,” the lawyer, Iqbal Jaffery, told reporters.
A court official confirmed the decision.
Jaffery said the court also ruled that it was its prerogative to decide whether Davis enjoyed diplomatic immunity or not.
This could be a politically explosive issue for the government of Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari.
Hard-line Islamic groups have warned authorities against releasing Davis. Some members of the Pakistani media, which have in the past accused US aid workers of being spies, have also called for Davis to be put on trial in Pakistan.
Washington has pumped billions of US dollars in aid to Pakistan, but remains deeply unpopular in the country partly because of missile strikes by unmanned US drone aircraft against militant sanctuaries in the border regions with Afghanistan.
After first identifying the man as a staff member of the US consulate in Lahore, the embassy on Saturday described him as a diplomat and said he had been unlawfully detained by authorities.
Arresting the diplomat was a violation of international norms and the Vienna Convention, it said. The embassy said the diplomat acted in self-defense when confronted by two armed men and had every reason to believe they meant to harm him.
A US congressional delegation met Zardari on Monday and raised the issue.
“The president said that he appreciated their concern but the matter was already before the courts,” presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar said.
“It would be prudent to wait for the legal course to be completed,” he quoted Zardari as saying.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of