UN peacekeepers in Ivory Coast fired warning shots in the air on Monday to disperse a mob allied with the president who is refusing to give up power, and a regional envoy arrived to try to persuade the defiant leader to cede office in the interest of peace.
The crowd descended on a parking lot near the luxury Pullman hotel where African Union envoy Raila Odinga was expected to stay.
The hotel was being guarded by UN armored personnel carriers, and reporters saw the mob encircle the vehicles, shouting and pumping their fists in the air.
Seconds later, there was the crack of gunfire; a cloud of birds flew out of nearby trees and protesters scattered.
Odinga, the prime minister of Kenya, spent the afternoon with Ivorian President Laurent Gbagbo, who insists he won the Nov. 28 presidential poll even though results tallied by the electoral commission and double-checked by a special UN observation mission showed opposition leader Alassane Ouattara had won.
Attacks against the UN have been mounting. Last week six of their cars were destroyed by pro-Gbagbo mobs, who accuse the UN of bias, and of being part of “a foreign plot” to remove the leader.
Odinga’s trip is the fifth high-level visit by an African leader trying to find a solution to the standoff. In a statement released on Monday, Odinga said Gbagbo’s unwillingness to respect the results could create a crisis of confidence for Africa and lead people to think their votes do not matter in a year when 17 presidential elections are scheduled.
“The refusal to respect the will of the Ivorians as expressed in the November elections will deal a deadly blow to the wave of democracy that is sweeping Africa,” Odinga said.
On Monday night after leaving the presidential palace, Odinga was expected to visit Ouattara, who is holed up in a hotel across town, unable to leave except by helicopter because troops loyal to Gbagbo have sealed off the roads.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday