Two French hostages kidnapped in the capital of Niger were killed by their captors despite a rescue attempt by French forces, French President Nicolas Sarkozy said in a statement.
The hostages were found dead at the Niger-Mali border after French troops there clashed with the kidnappers, killing several of them, a statement from French Minister of Defense Alain Juppe said on Saturday.
Sarkozy condemned the killings as a “cowardly and barbaric act.”
The two French victims, who have not been identified, were kidnapped by four armed men while dining at a restaurant on Friday night in the Nigerien capital, Niamey.
Staff at the main hospital in Niamey confirmed that the bodies of the two Frenchmen had arrived and were being stored in the morgue there.
It was not immediately clear when the clash to free the two French hostages occurred. No one has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping and it was not immediately clear whether an al-Qaeda offshoot was responsible.
Five other French hostages kidnapped in Niger in September by al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) are thought to be held in Mali.
In July, French troops joined Mauritanian troops in a raid against an AQIM base in Mali. Soon after, the captors announced they had killed a 78-year-old French aid worker they were holding and said that Sarkozy, by intervening with French troops, had “opened the doors of hell.”
It is unclear how many French troops are deployed in the vast desert Sahel region, which spans portions of Mauritania, Mali, Niger and Algeria, where militant groups with ties to al-Qaeda are operating.
The four countries have set up a joint operation to go after militants with links to al-Qaeda. The US has provided training for the local troops in the area.
Juppe said in a statement that French troops in the region who “coordinated the operation” clashed with the kidnappers at the Niger-Mali border, killing several of them.
Sarkozy had said earlier that the captors were apparently heading to Mali, considered a “zone of refuge,” and a unit of the Niger national guard immediately pursued the kidnappers.
Earlier on Saturday, Niger state radio reported that government troops had clashed with the kidnappers after locating them about 17km west of Ouallam, a remote district not far from the desert country’s border with Mali.
The report said Nigerien troops had located the attackers several hours after midnight and the head of the Niger force was seriously wounded during the gunbattle.
Juppe’s statement said that when the kidnappers reached the “frontier zone,” French troops in the region managed to “intercept the terrorists at the border with Mali and neutralize some of them.”
The defense minister’s statement did not specify what role the Niger national guard played in the clash or say who ultimately killed the hostages.
The statement from Sarkozy, however, was clearly worded to remove any suggestion they could have been struck by stray fire.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
A squad of gun-toting police officers patrolled Myanmar’s sacred site of Bagan under the cover of night, taking on plunderers snatching relics from temples forsaken by tourists due to COVID-19 restrictions. Each evening as dusk falls, about 100 officers fan out across the plain of Bagan covering 50km2, sweeping flashlights over the crumbling monuments to scour for intruders. “Our security forces are patrolling day and night,” Police Lieutenant Colonel Sein Win told reporters. “We have it under control for the moment, but it’s a challenge.” The central Burmese city is strewn with more than 3,500 ancient monuments — stupas, temples, murals and sculptures