A shark mauled to death a German woman tourist snorkeling off Sharm el-Sheikh on Sunday, in the third shark attack in Egypt’s popular Red Sea resort in a week, local officials said.
Mohammed Salem, director of South Sinai Conservation, said the woman died after a shark attacked her in Naama Bay, only one day after Sharm el-Sheikh reopened its beaches following two other attacks in which Russians were mauled.
“There has been a death unfortunately. She was a German lady. We have taken everyone out of the water,” he said.
Medical officials said the tourist — identified as a woman in her 70s but whose name has not yet been released — was pulled out of the water dead after the shark mauled her thigh and arm.
Egyptian Minister of Tourism Zuhair Garana told reporters all the resort’s beaches had been closed to swimmers, with the exception of Ras Mohammed, a nature preserve south of the city.
The latest attack took place in waters facing the Hyatt Regency Hotel.
“We are getting marine biologists from abroad to assess the situation and why there was this change in biological nature,” Garana said, referring to the repeated attacks, which one expert called unprecedented.
“This is unnatural. It has never happened before,” he said. “We have no explanation.”
Government conservation experts said on Friday they captured two sharks, an Oceanic whitetip and a mako, which they believed had mauled two Russian women swimmers on Tuesday and Wednesday last week.
Government workers had dumped chum in the water to attract the sharks.
The resort’s mayor, Gamal al-Mahdi, told reporters the beaches were reopened after authorities deemed there was no further threat off the coast, which attracts between 3 million and 4 million tourists a year.
However, an Egyptian non-governmental organization said on Saturday that at least one of the sharks thought to be behind the attacks was still at large.
The Hurghada Environmental Protection and Conservation Association said the captured oceanic whitetip was a different one from the shark caught on film by divers just minutes before it surfaced to attack snorkelers on Tuesday.
South Sinai Governor Mohammed Shosha has said the sharks could have turned frenzied after a ship transporting livestock dumped dead sheep into the sea, while marine experts said overfishing may have forced them closer to shore.
The string of attacks in Sharm el-Sheikh was “unprecedented,” according to a shark expert Samuel Gruber, who heads Miami’s Bimini Biological Field Station.
“The shark in one day bit more than one person. In all my years reading about shark attacks and writing about them you never hear about sharks biting more than one person,” he said, apart from feeding sprees on shipwreck survivors.
Statistics compiled by the International Shark Attack File reported 61 worldwide attacks in 2009, five of them fatal.
TARNISHED LEGACY: Woodrow Wilson served as the university’s president before becoming the US’ 28th leader, but his racism was ‘significant and consequential’ Princeton University is removing former US president Woodrow Wilson’s name from its public policy school and one of its residential colleges after trustees concluded that the 28th president’s “racist thinking and policies” made him “an inappropriate namesake.” The Ivy League school’s trustees made the decision on Friday, according to a statement on Saturday. It comes at a time of widespread rethinking of the US’ racial legacy. The Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, energized by a series of high-profile deaths of black Americans, has resulted in the removal of Confederate monuments, flags and symbols of racism across the US. Deleting Wilson’s name at Princeton
‘FULLY ENCLOSED’: Residents of Anxin County would be confined to their homes and would only be allowed out once a day to buy necessities such as food and medicine China yesterday imposed a strict lockdown on nearly half a million people near the capital to contain a fresh COVID-19 cluster as authorities warned the outbreak was still “severe and complicated.” After China largely brought the virus under control, hundreds have been infected in Beijing and cases have emerged in Hebei Province. Health officials said that Anxin County — about 150km from Beijing — would be “fully enclosed and controlled,” the same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the city of Wuhan earlier this year. Only one person from each family would be allowed to go out once a
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around