When it crafted a giant civilian aid plan for Pakistan last year, the US proclaimed a turning point in a troubled relationship, with US money henceforth to serve the cause of democracy.
On Friday, in the wake of the latest tensions between the war partners, US President Barack Obama’s administration announced it would seek another US$2 billion in aid for Pakistan — this time, destined for the military.
The Obama administration has repeatedly pledged support for civilian rule in Pakistan, which was restored in 2008, and said on Friday it would bar assistance from several military units accused of human rights abuses.
However, the latest aid package shows that the US is also keen to meet the wish-lists of the army, which has long been a major player in Pakistan and provides vital logistical support for forces in Afghanistan.
Teresita Schaffer, a former US diplomat who has served in Islamabad, said the US faced a balancing act between working with the military and supporting civilian institutions.
“The US routinely has trouble figuring out exactly where that line belongs and how to stay on the right side of things,” said Schaffer, director of the South Asia program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.
“Partly that’s because the military in Pakistan is a can-do institution, much more so than the civilians,” she said.
“This is partly theatrics, but we as a people are magnetically drawn to an institution and a leader who says, ‘Yeah, I can help you with what you really want to get done,’” she said.
US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton announced the military package during the two nations’ latest Strategic Dialogue, where Pakistan’s public face was Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi.
However, as in previous talks, Pakistan’s army chief, General Ashfaq Kayani, also turned up in Washington and held meetings behind closed doors.
Kayani was unusually public last year in his criticism of Washington’s five-year, US$7.5 billion civilian aid package, calling it undue foreign interference.
The bill’s authors — US senators John Kerry and Richard Lugar and US Representative Howard Berman — described the aid as a way to improve US relations with ordinary Pakistanis and dent the allure of Islamic extremists in the nuclear power.
More recently, Kayani was said to have criticized civilian leaders over their response to major floods. Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari stayed in Europe when the disaster struck, saying he was more needed on the diplomatic stage than at home.
Shuja Nawaz, director of the South Asia Center at the Atlantic Council, said he did not see a shift so much in Washington’s relations with the Pakistani military as with its perceptions of the civilians.
“I think the civilian government has missed a number of opportunities to show it is in charge and can take decisions rapidly and firmly, and the floods were a very good example of that,” Nawaz said.
The US Congress needs to approve the US$2 billion military package, which would be spread over five years.
While the Kerry-Lugar-Berman Act won wide backing last year, some US lawmakers have since voiced impatience at what they perceive as ingratitude from Pakistan. Other lawmakers have accused Pakistan of being too cozy with Afghanistan’s Taliban, some of whom roam freely in lawless border areas, and faulted Islamabad’s strategic focus on rival India.
Still, some analysts predicted that Congress would ultimately approve the military aid, which replaces an earlier five-year package that expired.
Lisa Curtis, a senior research fellow at the Heritage Foundation and former US policymaker on South Asia, said that a more critical test for military assistance to Pakistan may come next year.
Under the Kerry-Lugar--Berman Act, the administration must certify next year that Pakistan is taking action against Islamic extremists on its soil for aid to continue, although the president has the power to waive any cut-off.
“We are entering a somewhat new phase in US military assistance to Pakistan when for the first time we’re actually seeing the aid conditioned on Pakistan meeting benchmarks,” Curtis said.
TARNISHED LEGACY: Woodrow Wilson served as the university’s president before becoming the US’ 28th leader, but his racism was ‘significant and consequential’ Princeton University is removing former US president Woodrow Wilson’s name from its public policy school and one of its residential colleges after trustees concluded that the 28th president’s “racist thinking and policies” made him “an inappropriate namesake.” The Ivy League school’s trustees made the decision on Friday, according to a statement on Saturday. It comes at a time of widespread rethinking of the US’ racial legacy. The Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, energized by a series of high-profile deaths of black Americans, has resulted in the removal of Confederate monuments, flags and symbols of racism across the US. Deleting Wilson’s name at Princeton
‘FULLY ENCLOSED’: Residents of Anxin County would be confined to their homes and would only be allowed out once a day to buy necessities such as food and medicine China yesterday imposed a strict lockdown on nearly half a million people near the capital to contain a fresh COVID-19 cluster as authorities warned the outbreak was still “severe and complicated.” After China largely brought the virus under control, hundreds have been infected in Beijing and cases have emerged in Hebei Province. Health officials said that Anxin County — about 150km from Beijing — would be “fully enclosed and controlled,” the same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the city of Wuhan earlier this year. Only one person from each family would be allowed to go out once a
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around