Mon, Oct 25, 2010 - Page 5 News List

Suicide bombers attack UN office in Herat

SPATE OF VIOLENCE:In a separate incident on Saturday, a photographer for the ‘New York Times’ received leg injuries after stepping on a land mine in Kandahar

AP, KABUL

A suicide car bomber and three armed militants wearing explosives vests and dressed as women attacked a UN compound on Saturday in the western Afghanistan city of Herat, but Afghan security forces killed the attackers and no UN employees were harmed, officials said.

The brazen attack began when four militants drove up to the UN compound in a car laden with explosives and fired a rocket toward the entrance, said Dilawar Shah Dilawar, deputy police chief of Herat Province.

The militants tried unsuccessfully to blow up the gate with the rocket so they could drive the car inside the compound, he said.

When that didn’t work, three of the militants got out of the car and the fourth blew up the vehicle, killing himself. The explosion destroyed the gate, allowing the three to get inside.

“The three attackers were wearing police uniforms covered with burqas,” Dilawar said. “All of them had suicide vests and AK-47s.”

Militants sometimes wear burqas or police uniforms as a disguise.

The Afghan Interior Ministry denied the attackers were wearing police uniforms.

Guards at the UN compound and Afghan policemen who responded to the site engaged in sporadic gun fights with the three attackers, who were killed by Afghan security forces. NATO forces also responded, a statement by the UN said. Two Afghan guards were wounded.

“The attack did not disrupt the United Nations activities and no United Nations personnel was -injured,” the statement said.

It said the UN would continue its work in Herat.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned the assault, and said the UN is conducting a full investigation, a spokesperson for Ban said in a separate statement.

The attack was similar to one in July in Kunduz in northern Afghanistan where Taliban suicide attackers used a car to blow a hole in the wall of a compound of a contractor for the US Agency for International Development. Five men wearing suicide bomb vests then poured into the compound and fought a five-hour gunbattle with Afghan security forces before being killed. A Briton, a German and two Afghans were killed in the attack.

In October last year, Taliban militants attacked a guesthouse used by UN workers in central Kabul. Eight people were killed, including five foreigners working for the UN.

Separately, NATO forces killed two civilians, including a teenage boy, during a fight with insurgents Saturday in Wardak Province in eastern Afghanistan, according to Mohammad Halim Fidai, the governor of the province. The deaths prompted hundreds of residents to stage a demonstration that blocked a highway for nearly an hour.

The coalition could not confirm the two deaths. NATO said that after insurgents attacked a patrol with a homemade bomb, the troops stopped to investigate the explosion. After they stopped, they received fire from an -unknown number of insurgents, the coalition said. During the fighting, the coalition said two Afghans fell off a -motorcycle and were taken away by villagers so their conditions could not be verified.

Also in the east, US special forces, NATO troops and the Afghan army killed more than 10 insurgents and recovered four weapons caches during a four-day operation that ended on Wednesday in Dara-i-Pech district of Kunar Province, NATO said on Saturday.

In southern Afghanistan, a suicide bomber on a motorbike blew himself up before reaching a checkpoint in Kandahar, killing two civilians and wounding two others, police chief Sardar Mohammad Zazai said. Three other bombs — two in cars and one in a motorbike — were defused around the city after bombers left them on main roads and suspicious citizens called the police, the provincial governor’s spokesman, Zelmai Ayubi, said.

This story has been viewed 1323 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top