North Korean and Chinese military officers meeting in Pyongyang said ties between the neighbors will only grow stronger, state media reported.
A Chinese military delegation — led by General Guo Boxiong (郭伯雄), vice chairman of Beijing’s Central Military Commission — arrived in North Korea on Saturday for a four-day trip.
China, which backed North Korea during the 1950-1953 Korean War, is the country’s main source of economic and diplomatic support. A visit from someone as senior as Guo is deemed crucial as North Korean leader Kim Jong-il moves to transfer power to his son in what would be the country’s second hereditary succession.
Kim, 68, made his youngest son, Kim Jong-un, a four-star general and gave him key political posts late last month. Kim Jong-il took power in 1994 after the death of his father, national founder Kim Il-sung.
Top North Korean military officer Ri Yong-ho, speaking at a banquet on Saturday, said Guo’s visit “greatly encourages” North Koreans and showed that bilateral ties would grow stronger.
Guo agreed that bilateral ties would be strengthened, the North’s Korean Central News Agency reported.
Guo and Ri — who is vice chairman of the Central Military Commission of the Workers’ Party of Korea and chief of the General Staff of the Korean People’s Army — earlier reviewed a guard of honor in a welcoming ceremony.
The Chinese delegation also joined Kim Yong-nam, president of Presidium of the North Korean parliament, in watching a performance of the Arirang song-and-dance extravaganza, Associated Press Television News said.
This year’s Arirang featured scenes highlighting North Korea’s friendship with China, including dancing dragons and panda bears.
Guo’s delegation will also attend commemorations of the 60th anniversary of Chinese troops’ entry into the Korean War, Xinhua News Agency said.
The Korean Peninsula technically remains in a state of war because the conflict ended in a truce. The US, which fought alongside South Korea, stations 28,500 troops on the peninsula to deter any North Korean aggression.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of