Wed, Jul 07, 2010 - Page 7 News List

Imam caught up in NYC terrorism case departs US


The imam entangled in the investigation into a suicide bomb plot against New York City subway stations left the US on Monday on court orders after admitting he lied to the FBI.

Among his final words on US soil, his lawyer says, were “God bless America.”

Ahmad Wais Afzali and his wife Fatima took off on a Saudi Arabian Airlines flight to Jeddah and will proceed to Mecca, where Fatima got a job teaching English, said the lawyer, Ron Kuby.

Afzali, who was born in Afghanistan but spent most of his life in Queens, isn’t sure what he’s going to do there, Kuby said. Most of his family lives in Virginia, including two children from a previous marriage.

Afzali, under the terms of his plea on April 15, was sentenced to time served — four days— but ordered to leave the country in 90 days.

Authorities sought help last fall from the imam, a previously reliable police source, as they tried to thwart the plot by Najibullah Zazi, an airport van driver who pleaded guilty in the case.

The 38-year-old imam said he had wanted to help authorities in the investigation of the threat but lied under grilling by the FBI about his telephone conversations with Zazi.

Afzali lied when he said he never told Zazi that he was under surveillance in New York. Afzali said that he never meant to aid Zazi or deceive the government.

“It was not just something he said at sentencing, he genuinely loves this country very much,” Kuby said. “Unfortunately he was caught in a turf battle between the NYPD [New York City Police Department] and the FBI.”

The electronic monitoring bracelet was removed at around 9:30am and then a caravan of family and two Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents traveled to John F. Kennedy International Airport. Two agents, dressed casually, accompanied Afzali and his wife to the gate and watched them board.

Afzali cannot return to the US without special permission. If he does, he is subject to additional charges and could be deported to Afghanistan.

Zazi and two friends were arrested in September last year before they could carry out a trio of suicide bombings in Manhattan, prosecutors said. Zazi and Zarein Ahmedzay have pleaded guilty and admitted planning to detonate homemade bombs on the subway during rush hour. A third man, Adis Medunjanin, awaits trial.

This story has been viewed 1276 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top