Sat, Jun 05, 2010 - Page 5 News List

Surviving Mumbai gunman to appeal death sentence

AP , MUMBAI, INDIA

The only surviving gunman from the 2008 Mumbai attacks has requested a new lawyer in order to appeal his death sentence, an official said yesterday.

Early last month, a special court gave Mohammed Ajmal Kasab multiple death sentences after he was convicted on charges including murder, waging war against India, conspiracy and terrorism.

The government prosecutor in the trial, Ujjwal Nikam, said that Kasab had sent a letter to the Bombay High Court’s Legal Aid Cell on Wednesday asking to be given a new lawyer in order to help him prepare an appeal against his death sentence.

It was not immediately clear when the court would reach a decision on the matter.

A photograph of Kasab, 22, striding through Mumbai’s main train station, an assault rifle in hand, became the iconic image of the three-day siege in November 2008 that claimed the lives of 166 people.

Kasab was one of 10 young Pakistanis who attacked two luxury hotels, a Jewish center and a busy train station in India’s financial capital.

Kasab’s sentence must be reviewed by the High Court. He can also appeal the decision and apply for clemency to the state and central governments.

This story has been viewed 1055 times.
TOP top