British adventurer Roz Savage sets out today from the remote island nation of Kiribati on the final stage of her epic journey to be the first woman to row across the Pacific.
Savage wrote on her blog yesterday that the only thing that could delay her scheduled departure for Cairns on the Australian east coast was the heavy rain that was disrupting preparations.
The 42-year-old began her odyssey from San Francisco in May 2008 and covered the 4,800km to Hawaii in 99 days.
On the second leg last year from Hawaii to Tuvalu she was forced by tides and dwindling food supplies to make landfall in Kiribati, a nation of 33 coral atolls straddling the equator, after 104 days at sea.
She said the third leg, expected to take about 100 days, would be the most challenging.
“If this weather continues for the rest of today and into tomorrow, we’re going to be up against it to be ready in time to leave on Monday morning,” she wrote on her blog, adding that the rain was forecast to continue.
“I had considerable experience of wet weather rowing on the Atlantic, and I don’t like it. Wet skin chafes more,” Savage said.
“It’s impossible to keep the cabin dry when I’m going in and out soaking wet. Electronics fog up and fail. It’s generally more challenging,” she said.
She told reporters the route to Australia also posed problems.
“Once I get into the Coral Sea, the winds will be pushing me northwards and off course,” she said.
“Papua New Guinea wouldn’t be too difficult, but Cairns is going to be tricky,” she said.
Savage was in her mid-thirties when she traded her career as a project manager at an investment bank for the life of an adventurer and completed her first epic voyage in 2005 when she rowed across the Atlantic.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday