Wed, Jan 27, 2010 - Page 6 News List

World News Quick Take

AGENCIES

■YEMEN

Seven ‘militants’ jailed

A court yesterday sentenced seven suspected al-Qaeda members to between five and 10 years in jail after convicting them of plotting to attack foreign interests and tourists. The seven were arrested while preparing explosives and monitoring tourist buses to attack them, police said. Their trial began on Oct. 17. They were convicted of “plotting to form an armed gang to execute criminal acts targeting foreign tourists and interests and government installments,” the verdict read.

■KUWAIT

‘Illegal’ car race kills eight

Eight Kuwaiti youths were killed and 14 others injured, seven in critical condition, when several cars collided during an unofficial car race, a security source and witnesses said yesterday. Dozens of youths were watching the race in Doha, 20km west of Kuwait City, around midnight on Monday when the accident took place, witnesses said. Two of the racing cars went astray, smashed into four other parked vehicles, hitting many spectators, which caused the number of casualties to rise, a security source said. Illegal car races are common in this affluent Gulf state where car ownership is very high.

■UNITED KINGDOM

Americans sought asylum

Government figures show that dozens of Americans and Canadians have applied for asylum in the UK in the past few years on the grounds that they were persecuted in their own countries. Home Office figures show 45 Americans and 15 Canadians tried to obtain asylum in Britain between 2004 and 2008. The British government says all of the applicants were refused. The Home Office was unable to give information explaining why.

■ITALY

Father stabbed over game

A man who argued with his son over Sony PlayStation tactics was recovering in hospital on Monday after the teenager stabbed him in the neck with a 40cm kitchen knife, police said. The man suffered a deep cut to the throat after his 16-year-old son, Mario, attacked him during an argument on Sunday over the soccer video game FIFA 2009. Police said the argument broke out when the 46-year-old storekeeper offered his son advice on tactics to improve his play, and then turned the television off in response to his son’s behavior. Fetching a knife from the kitchen, Mario stabbed his father in the neck before returning to clean the weapon at the kitchen sink in front of his mother and leaving it to dry on the draining board. His mother told the Il Corriere della Sera daily: “I saw Mario come back into the room, he seemed calm, he went to the sink and I noticed him washing a knife,” Monica told the newspaper. “Then my husband came into the room with a hand round his neck, dripping blood.” The teenager shut himself in his bedroom after the attack and made no attempt to resist arrest, police said. The game had been given to Mario a few days earlier, as a birthday present. “We bought him FIFA 2009 because we didn’t want him playing violent games,” his mother told Il Corriere.

■UNITED STATES

Prince bids for office

Could actress Zsa Zsa Gabor be California’s next first lady? That may seem implausible, but her ninth husband, Prince Frederic von Anhalt, a German-born socialite with no previous political experience, on Monday announced his own independent campaign to succeed Arnold Schwarzenegger as governor. Von Anhalt, 65, launched his long-shot bid for office with a news conference in West Hollywood and the unveiling of a large billboard on the Sunset Strip, showing him smiling and dressed in a military-style coat adorned with various medals. Von Anhalt described himself as a longtime Republican and fiscal conservative who is liberal on social issues like gay marriage rights.

This story has been viewed 1908 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top