The Brazilian family of a nine-year-old boy returned by court order to his US father said on Tuesday it will fight to regain custody.
Lawyers for the relatives of Sean Goldman said they will push forward with a request from his Brazilian grandmother to allow the boy to make his own wishes known in court.
“Sean’s early delivery does not end the legal process,” the lawyers said in a statement. “The legal process in Brazil is not over.”
The grandmother’s request was initially denied, but the Supreme Court has not issued a final ruling on that matter.
Last week, a Supreme Court judge ordered Sean returned to his father, David Goldman.
At a news conference on Tuesday in New Jersey, Goldman and his attorney Patricia Apy, said they did not know exactly what sort of claim the Brazilian family would make.
Apy said continued litigation by the Brazilian relatives could affect visitation proceedings in New Jersey.
“Part of what we’re going to wait to see is if they’re going to exercise good judgment and move forward as normal grandparents,” Apy said.
Goldman said his son arrived in New Jersey on Monday and was eager to play outside.
“He hasn’t cried, he’s just happy,” Goldman said. “He just wants to have fun and not have all this pressure on his shoulders.”
Just three days before Christmas and following a five-year custody battle, Supreme Court Chief Justice Gilmar Mendes lifted a stay on a federal court’s ruling ordering Brazilian relatives to hand over the boy. Sean was reunited with his father on Christmas Eve and returned to the US the same day.
Before delivering Sean to his father, the Brazilian relatives said they would end a legal battle to keep the boy in Brazil. On Tuesday, however, their attorneys said the family was only obeying the judge’s order, not stopping its legal fight.
The lawyers said that if the Supreme Court rules in favor of the grandmother, Silvana Bianchi, the decision will be relayed to US authorities so the boy can be heard.
Bianchi has always maintained that Sean wanted to stay in Brazil.
Goldman said in an exclusive interview aired Monday on NBC’s Today show that the boy was happy in the US, but hadn’t yet called him “Dad.”
Sean had lived in Brazil since 2004, when Goldman’s ex-wife, Bruna Bianchi, brought him to her native country for what was supposed to be a two-week vacation. She stayed, divorced Goldman and remarried, and Goldman, now 42, began legal efforts to get Sean back.
After Bianchi died last year in childbirth, her husband, a prominent divorce attorney in Rio de Janeiro, won temporary custody. Despite numerous court findings in favor of Goldman, he was able numerous times to delay relinquishing custody.
Also on Tuesday, a professional media group criticized NBC for ferrying the Goldmans back to the US on a chartered plane.
Calling it an example of “checkbook journalism,” the Society of Professional Journalists said the arrangement damages the network’s credibility.
NBC spokeswoman Lauren Kapp said the network invited them to ride on a plane that had already been booked to carry its own employees home for the holidays, and Today’s exclusive interview was booked before the invitation was extended.
An attorney for Goldman said on Tuesday that there was never a contract with NBC and that the Goldman camp was loyal to the network because it did a thorough report on his situation a year ago, before the story became major news.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable
SURGE CONTINUES: India recorded its steepest spike of more than 57,000 new virus cases in 24 hours, as Vietnam went from no virus deaths to reporting three South Korean prosecutors yesterday arrested the elderly leader of a secretive religious sect as part of an investigation into allegations that the church hampered the government’s COVID-19 response after thousands of worshipers were infected in February and March. Prosecutors in the central city of Suwon have been questioning 88-year-old Lee Man-hee, chairman of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, over charges that the church hid some members and underreported gatherings to avoid broader quarantines. The Suwon District Court granted prosecutors’ request to arrest Lee over concerns that he could temper with evidence. Lee and his church have steadfastly denied the accusations, saying they are