Health workers fanned out across Padang yesterday to douse the Indonesian city with disinfectant over concerns about disease outbreaks six days after a deadly earthquake rattled Sumatra.
The rescue mission in Padang — a port city of 900,000 — and in surrounding hills devastated by landslides has now turned to a huge relief effort to help thousands who have lost their homes. While aid has poured into the area, the scale of the disaster, heavy rains and damage to roads has meant that some relief supplies have built up at various points, triggering anger on the ground.
“I have seen reports on TV of boxes piling up at the airport and not making it to victims. That’s not fair. Those are the secondary items, not the priority items like food and water,” said Gamawan Fauzi, the governor of West Sumatra.
On Monday, correspondents in a number of different areas were told by villagers that little if any aid had arrived.
“Yesterday all I had to eat was a packet of instant noodles. All of us are hungry. We hear on the radio very nice words that aid is pouring in, but where is it?” asked Erol, a resident with a 10-day-old infant in Pasa Dama, a village near Padang.
Fauzi denied that any of the aid supplies were falling into the wrong hands.
“The receipt of aid is signed off by the head of each sub-district. So we know what they have received. I think the risk of corruption is small, but if anyone is caught doing that they must punished,” Fauzi said.
The governor said rotting bodies were a big hazard to health now and experts were monitoring for cases of cholera and tetanus.
“We have sent out of a lot of disinfectant and we will spray in Padang today,” he said.
On Monday evening, Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono criticized local officials in the quake-hit area for not focusing enough on emergency needs and too much on reconstruction needs.
“What I want to know is what is being done for emergency steps, such as food supply, electricity supply, fuel supply and other aspects,” Yudhoyono said before a Cabinet meeting.
The president also called for an Aceh-style reconstruction.
“In my view I think we could implement what has been done in Aceh, Nias and Yogykarta,” he said.
The rebuilding of Aceh on the northern tip of Sumatra after the 2004 tsunami has largely been held up as success, while massive rehabilitation also took place on the island of Nias, also in Sumatra, and in the city of Yogyakarta in Java after quakes.
Yudhoyono thanked Saudi Arabia for donating US$50 million to the recovery effort. Aid from at least 16 nations and international bodies has arrived since last week, although foreign search and rescue teams are now leaving.
Indonesia’s official death toll from the quake is 625 dead and 295 missing, but Indonesia’s health minister has said the toll could reach as high as 3,000.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread