Spanish police are investigating whether the armed Basque group ETA still has an active unit on Mallorca following the planting of three small bombs on the popular Mediterranean tourist island.
Speaking on Cadena SER radio, Regional Interior Ministry delegate Ramon Socias said: “We have to work on both hypotheses; that they are still here and that they may have quit the island.”
He said investigations should establish if the small blasts on Sunday were triggered by timer devices, in which case the devices could have been planted days ago and the militants could have already fled.
One bomb went off in La Rigoleta restaurant on the Can Pere Antoni beachfront in Palma de Mallorca and the second in an underground passage at the central Plaza Mayor square, the government said. Officers deactivated a bomb left at Bar Enco.
The blasts, which caused no injuries, came just over a week after ETA killed two police officers in a bomb attack on Mallorca aimed at striking fear among tourists at the height of the summer season.
Police searched a hotel in the island’s capital, Palma de Mallorca, for a possible fourth bomb, the government said.
Earlier on Sunday, ETA claimed responsibility for four other bombings this summer that killed three people — including the two police officers killed in Mallorca on July 30 — and injured dozens more.
State-run broadcaster TVE said on its late afternoon news bulletin that one bomb that exploded was in a beach bag hidden in the ceiling of a women’s bathroom in the restaurant.
The restaurant, however, had been evacuated following two telephone calls made to a taxi company in Spain’s northern Basque region, El Pais newspaper said. The caller, who said he was calling on ETA’s behalf, warned of the bombs.
Mallorca is one of Europe’s main tourist destinations. In June, about 2.6 million passengers used Mallorca airport.
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday
“Leaving a place that I love was very difficult. We’re all Hong Kong people who come out to protest because we love Hong Kong. But now we are forced to leave.” *Jay* is a former Hong Kong resident who attended many of last year’s protests, including on the front lines. He was arrested and charged with riot offenses, but fled the territory when he was being released on bail several months ago. He is now among dozens of Hong Kong residents seeking political asylum in Australia, and he has no expectation of returning home. “When I was taking the bus to the