A remote control bomb targeting police killed 12 people in the heart of the western city of Herat yesterday in the latest attack to hit beleaguered Afghanistan just weeks away from elections.
Another 20 people were wounded in the attack, which struck during the morning rush hour, police said. A reporter saw several police vehicles and private taxis damaged.
The attack heightened concerns that the country’s Taliban-led insurgency is spiking less than three weeks before the presidential and provincial council elections on Aug. 20. Provincial police chief Esmatullah Alizai said the blast was caused by a bomb planted in a roadside garbage can and remotely detonated.
“It exploded as the convoy of district police passed by,” he told reporters. “Twelve people have been killed in this explosion and 20 other people have been wounded. Among those killed are two police.”
A woman and a child were among the dead, he said. The police chief of the nearby district of Ingil was also wounded, the officer said. Motorcycles and bicycles lay discarded at the site, and children’s shoes and a woman’s veil were left abandoned on the ground, the reporter said. A large election billboard was burned and branches ripped off trees.
There was some police gunfire after the blast, the reporter said.
A doctor at the city’s main hospital said 29 wounded had been admitted as well as 12 bodies.
“The condition of some of the wounded is not good,” Barakatullah Mohammadi said.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the explosion.
The Taliban have carried out multiple bombings as part of an insurgency that is now the bloodiest since they were overthrown in late 2001 by a US-led invasion.
The group has called on Afghans to boycott the elections and ordered its fighters to block all roads a day before polling stations open.
Authorities said on Sunday that other insurgent attacks had killed three US and two Canadian soldiers, as well as seven Afghan policemen and soldiers.
Seventy-five foreign soldiers were killed last month, most of them in attacks, said the independent www.icasualties.org Web site, making last month the deadliest month for troops since the US-led invasion.
This has raised concerns in many of the 42 nations that contribute to the more than 100,000 NATO and US-led forces based in Afghanistan and on which the government of Afghan President Hamid Karzai relies for security.
The troops have stepped up operations against insurgent strongholds in preparation for the war-scarred nation’s second presidential election, which may be called into question if unrest keeps voters away from the polls.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable
SURGE CONTINUES: India recorded its steepest spike of more than 57,000 new virus cases in 24 hours, as Vietnam went from no virus deaths to reporting three South Korean prosecutors yesterday arrested the elderly leader of a secretive religious sect as part of an investigation into allegations that the church hampered the government’s COVID-19 response after thousands of worshipers were infected in February and March. Prosecutors in the central city of Suwon have been questioning 88-year-old Lee Man-hee, chairman of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, over charges that the church hid some members and underreported gatherings to avoid broader quarantines. The Suwon District Court granted prosecutors’ request to arrest Lee over concerns that he could temper with evidence. Lee and his church have steadfastly denied the accusations, saying they are