Munich, best known for Bayern Munich, lederhosen and its beer festival, is also home to the West’s largest exiled community of Uighurs.
Germany’s third-largest city is also the first city in the world to say it is prepared to take in 17 Uighurs held in Guantanamo Bay for seven years, although they were cleared of any wrongdoing.
The city council passed a resolution in last month in favor of accepting the 17 as rights groups believe they face torture if they return to China, where the authorities regard them as “Chinese terrorists.”
The Uighurs were captured in Afghanistan but since cleared by Washington. They have become something of a diplomatic headache as the US refuses to hand them over to China.
By agreeing to accept the group, Munich intends to send an “early signal” to the German government, in case US President Barack Obama asks Germany to take them in, said the city’s Social Democrat mayor, Christian Ude.
Asgar Can, vice-president of the World Uighur Congress, said the Uighurs had a good chance of being accepted in Munich when the Guantanamo Bay prison closes, which Obama has pledged to bring about by early next year.
“Our community is very well integrated. That’s our trump card when it comes to taking in the Guanatanamo Uighurs,” he said.
Five hundred of Germany’s 600 Uighurs call Munich home, he said.
Meanwhile, an EU delegation questioned the Obama administration about Guantanamo Bay, as member countries weighed whether to accept a US request to take some of the detainees when the controversial prison is shut.
Jacques Barrot, the EU’s justice and home affairs commissioner, and Czech Interior Minister Ivan Langer, presented US Attorney General Eric Holder on Monday with a detailed list of questions, including questions about security risks, the inmates and their detentions.
The officials also asked “whether the administration has decided never to do this again, never to have another Guantanamo,” Barrot said.
He said the officials also discussed other US detention facilities.
Langer said the officials did not include conditions the US would have to meet for European countries to accept detainees.
“We passed to Holder a clear message,” Barrot said. “We have come here to listen and to lend a helping hand if needed.”
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting