Mon, Feb 23, 2009 - Page 7 News List

World News Quick Take

AGENCIES

■JAPAN

Young detective nabs thief

An 11-year-old boy turned detective by trailing a thief and leading police to the suspect’s front door, officers said yesterday. Police said the boy saw the man take a box of DVDs away from a parked car in front of a used bookstore in Sendai on Saturday and, finding his behavior suspicious, decided to follow him. The boy alerted the bookstore owner before tailing the thief for more than 1km until he entered his apartment. The young sleuth then reported the man’s address to a nearby police box along with the storeowner. “The boy told us that he just thought he had to catch the suspicious man,” a police spokesman said. Police arrested 28-year-old Ryo Ishigaki for allegedly stealing a box of pornographic DVDs worth about US$750.

■PHILIPPINES

Two rebels die in clash

Two communist rebels were killed yesterday in a clash with government troops in a Davao del Norte Province, an army spokesman said. Lieutenant Colonel Romeo Brawner said the combat occurred in a village in Talaingod Town and the military suffered no casualties. Troops recovered three rifles and the bodies of the slain rebels after the firefight, he said.

■AUSTRALIA

Melon smasher breaks record

John Allwood broke his own world record yesterday by smashing 47 watermelons with his forehead in 60 seconds. The professional melon picker from the Queensland town of Chinchilla head-butted 40 to oblivion at last year’s Chinchilla Melon Festival. Chinchillla produces a quarter of the nation’s melon crop and its four-day festival is growing in popularity with people into fruit-abuse. Among the contests on offer are melon shot-putting and melon pip-spitting.

■SINGAPORE

Man arrested for hoax text

Police arrested a 19-year-old man on Saturday in connection with an text message hoax suggesting a terrorist attack in the city-state, media reports said yesterday. The text message, which had several variations, said terrorists were planning to bomb the Bugis area and that there were many policemen there. It also advised the public to avoid the area, the Sunday Times newspaper reported. “Although there was no credible evidence to suggest such an attack at that point in time, we took the information seriously and immediately put in place necessary precautions to enhance security in the area,” the paper quoted a police spokesman as saying. “We would like to assure the public that there is no cause for alarm as investigations have revealed that the SMS was indeed unsubstantiated,” the spokesman said. The offence may carry a sentence of one year in prison, a fine of up to S$5,000 (US$3,300), or both.

■MALAYSIA

Police launch manhunt

Police have launched a manhunt for a Singaporean detainee facing the death sentence, who escaped from custody in handcuffs while being escorted to court, a report said yesterday. The New Straits Times said the Singaporean man was being taken to a court lock-up in a police vehicle with two other detainees on Friday, when he shoved an officer out of the car and escaped. The remaining officer could not give chase as he had to guard the other detainees. A two-hour search at the scene, involving two police dogs, proved fruitless. Khalid Abu Bakar, police chief of central Selangor State, told the daily that an investigation would be conducted into how the man managed to escape. “The two policemen are also being investigated as certain procedures were not followed,” he said.

This story has been viewed 1304 times.
TOP top