The US said on Friday that North Korea has stepped up disablement of a nuclear reactor it had been threatening to reactivate, a sign of progress in six-nation nuclear disarmament talks that had been on the verge of collapse.
US State Department Spokesman Sean McCormack told reporters that the North has replaced seals, reinstalled surveillance and restored equipment that had been removed at the Yongbyon plutonium reprocessing plant.
“In addition to that, they have removed more rods from the reactor,” he said. “So, on the reactor, they have actually gone beyond where they were prior to their reversing the disablement.”
McCormack, quoting US officials in North Korea, said North Korean specialists have removed 60 percent of the fuel rods from the reactor. Fuel rods can be processed to obtain plutonium for nuclear bombs.
The progress at Yongbyon came after North Korea ended a two-month boycott of a nuclear disarmament deal following the US’ removal of the country from a terrorism blacklist as an incentive.
Separately, US Defense Secretary Robert Gates met at the Pentagon with South Korean Defense Minister Lee Sang-hee, a member of conservative, pro-US President Lee Myung-bak’s administration.
Asked about reports that North Korean leader Kim Jong-il’s poor health could lead to a crisis, Lee, speaking through an interpreter, said: “We should probably not pay too much attention to [Kim Jong-il’s] health. I believe he’s probably enjoying all this newfound attention, and, if we show him too much attention, then we might spoil him.”
He said that US and South Korean intelligence officials are closely monitoring Kim’s health, which has “significant implications” on regional security. Although Kim has not been seen in public lately, Lee said, both the US and South Korea estimate that Kim still has control over his administration.
Gates said the US and South Korea are in close communication as they watch the North. He also said that he recommitted to Lee to keep the US force level in South Korea at 28,500.
At the State Department, McCormack said “there is still work to be done” at the North’s reprocessing and fuel fabrication factories.
But, he said, he expected nuclear talks among China, Japan, the two Koreas, Russia and the US would resume “in the coming period of time.”
He would not discuss specifics because host China has not announced the meeting.
On Tuesday, the North allowed UN monitors back into the nuclear site. A diplomat in Vienna familiar with the IAEA’s work in the North said the agency’s three-member team had resumed monitoring on Tuesday.
North Korea stopped disabling Yongbyon in anger over US demands that Pyongyang accept a plan to verify its accounting of nuclear programs as a condition for removal from the terrorism list. The North was threatening to reactivate Yongbyon before the US agreed to remove it from the list.
Six-nation nuclear talks took on a new tone of urgency after North Korea set off a test nuclear blast in 2006. Pyongyang then agreed to dismantle its nuclear program in exchange for energy aid and other concessions, though negotiations have since been beset by deadlock and acrimony.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against