British troops are no longer necessary for the security of Iraq and should go home, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said in a newspaper interview published yesterday.
“We thank them for the role they have played, but I think that their stay is not necessary for maintaining security and control,” he told the Sunday Times. “There might be a need for their experience in training and some technological issues, but as a fighting force, I don’t think that is necessary.”
Maliki also criticized the decision by Britain earlier this year to move its troops from a palace in Basra, which came under British responsibility after the 2003 US-led invasion, to their base at the airport.
“At the time Basra was not under control of the local government, but in the hands of the gangs and militias … [British forces] stayed away from the confrontation, which gave the gangs and the militias the chance to control the city,” he said.
“The situation deteriorated so badly that corrupted youths were carrying swords and cutting the throats of women and children. The citizens of Basra called out for our help … and we moved to regain the city,” he said.
Asked by the newspaper whether he thought Britain’s move had been premature, he said: “Very.”
The prime minister also criticized Britain’s deal with Moqtada al-Sadr’s Mehdi Army, Iraq’s largest Shiite militia, to stop mortar and rocket attacks.
“Of course we were not comfortable and we conveyed our discomfort and regarded it as the beginning of a disaster,” he said. “Had they told us that they wanted to do this, we would have consulted with them and come up with the best possible decision. But when they acted alone the problem happened.”
Maliki said crisis was averted by his decision to send thousands of Iraqi forces into the city.
However, he said coalition forces “did provide help and it was important” and said that despite the disagreements, “the Iraqi arena is open for British companies and British friendship.”
“Our relationship now is good and we are working to improve it further in other fields as we take over responsibility for security,” Maliki said.
‘CONFESSED’: A court in Beijing said that former CCP member Ren Zhiqiang abused his power at a state firm and embezzled almost US$7.14 million of public funds A Chinese tycoon who called Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) a clown and criticized his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic was yesterday jailed for 18 years for corruption, bribery and embezzlement of public funds. Ren Zhiqiang (任志強) — once among the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) inner circle — disappeared from the public eye in March, shortly after penning an essay that lambasted Xi’s pandemic response. His outspokenness had earned the former chairman of state-owned property developer Huayuan Group the nickname “Big Cannon.” Yesterday’s verdict said that Ren embezzled almost 50 million yuan (US$7.4 million) of public funds and accepted bribes worth 1.25 million
AUSTRALIAN SITE: China has had a contract with SSC’s Yatharagga station since at least 2011, but the last time it used it was in June 2013. No final date has been given China would lose access to a strategic space tracking station in Western Australia when its contract expires, the facility’s owners said, a decision that cuts into Beijing’s expanding space exploration and navigational capabilities in the Pacific region. The Swedish Space Corp (SSC) has had a contract allowing Beijing access to the satellite antenna at the station since at least 2011. The station is located next to an SSC satellite station primarily used by the US and its agencies, including NASA. The Swedish state-owned company said it would not enter into any new contracts at the Australian site to support Chinese customers after
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
The scarcity of commercial flights landing at Sydney Airport has been a disaster for airlines and workers, but for hobby pilots the COVID-19 pandemic has provided the opportunity of a lifetime. The quieter-than-usual runways mean that private pilots have been given the chance to land at the international airport for the first time. When Sydney Flight College club captain Tim Lindley put out a call, he received an overwhelming response. He eventually organized for 14 light aircraft to fly into Sydney airport on Sunday. “For a lot of the pilots involved, including myself, it was a childhood dream to land in a big