Tue, Oct 14, 2008 - Page 5 News List

NATO general denies losing war

CHAOS US General David McKiernan painted a dire picture of a chaotic Afghan countryside, which lacks any signs of governance and socio-economic progress

AP , KABUL

The top NATO general in Afghanistan said that he rejects the idea that NATO is losing the Afghanistan war to an increasingly bloody Taliban insurgency.

But US General David McKiernan also said on Sunday he needs more military forces to tamp down the militants, and he painted a picture of a chaotic Afghan countryside where insurgents hold more power than the Afghan government seven years after the US-led invasion.

He said better governance and economic progress were vital.

“It is true that in many places of this country we don’t have an acceptable level of security. We don’t have good governance. We don’t have socio-economic progress,” he told a news conference in Kabul.

“We don’t have progress as evenly or as fast as many of us would like, but we are not losing Afghanistan,” he said.

In the country’s wild south, meanwhile, Taliban militants launched a surprise attack on the provincial capital of Helmand, sparking a battle that killed about 60 insurgents, an Afghan official said.

Militants attacked the town of Lashkar Gah from three sides early on Sunday and were pushed back only after a battle that involved NATO and Afghan troops and the use of airstrikes, said Daud Ahmadi, the spokesman for the provincial governor. Rockets landed in different parts of the city but there were no civilian casualties, he said.

McKiernan said that hundreds of insurgents gathered for the attack, and a NATO statement said its aircraft bombed insurgent positions, killing “multiple enemy forces.”

“If the insurgents planned a spectacular attack prior to the winter, this was a spectacular failure,” said Brigadier General Richard Blanchette, the spokesman for the NATO-led force.

In a second battle in Helmand, Afghan and international troops retook the Nad Ali district center — which had been held by militants — during a three-day fight, Ahmadi said. That battle, which also involved airstrikes, ended on Saturday. About 40 militants were killed, he said.

Afghan police and soldiers are now in control of the district.

Ahmadi’s death tolls could not be verified independently.

Journalists are not able to travel to remote and dangerous battle sites. Afghan officials have been known to exaggerate death tolls in the past.

Insurgency-related violence has killed more than 4,800 people this year, an Associated Press count of shows. A record number of US and NATO soldiers have already died this year.

Also See: US teeters on the edge of swamp of uncertainty in Afghanistan

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top