Wed, Oct 01, 2008 - Page 7 News List

World News Quick Take

AGENCIES

■ SRI LANKA

Fighting claims 53 lives

The navy sank two Tamil Tiger boats off the northeast coast as fighting in the embattled north killed 47 rebels and six soldiers, the military said yesterday. The sea battle broke out on Monday night off the northeast coast, with the navy destroying two small boats in the area and killing eight rebel sailors on board, military spokesman Brigadier Udaya Nanayakkara said. Battles in the rebels’ heartland in the Kilinochchi district killed 19 rebels and three soldiers, while fighting in Vavuniya and Welioya killed 20 rebels and three soldiers, he said. With nearly all communications to the north severed, rebel spokesmen could not be contacted for comment.

■ JAPAN

Chubby dolphins on a diet

Dolphins at a marine park are going on a low-fat diet after developing pot bellies and failing to look sharp in their aquatic performances. Kinosaki Marine World in western Japan said yesterday that its 19 dolphins have been on a low-fat diet since late August, when they started failing to hit jumping targets and keep upright while treading water. The weight-loss program includes feeding them more white fish and less fatty mackerels, while instituting a routine exercise regime, a park spokesman said.

■ PHILIPPINES

Four more miners rescued

Rescuers pulled four more miners out of a flooded tunnel in Itogon town yesterday, raising hopes that eight others might still be found alive after a week underground, officials and rescuers said. The pale, haggard miners were found after they responded to the yells of rescue teams. They were rushed to a hospital in the northern city of Baguio, rescuers said. Two others were rescued on Monday, bringing to six the number rescued from the mine after Typhoon Hagupit lashed the area last Tuesday, washing mud into the tunnels. Two other miners were earlier found dead. Gerry Munyodda, one of those rescued, said they survived by drinking water dripping through the cracks of the rocks.

■ SOUTH KOREA

Online gambling site busted

Prosecutors have busted an online gambling ring operated by South Koreans in Manila who cleared about US$100 million over 18 months, officials said yesterday. The Seoul Central Prosecutors’ Office said four South Koreans have been charged. Two others have fled abroad, but prosecutors will seek to have them extradited. Online gambling is illegal in South Korea. The ring allegedly opened a casino in Manila in February last year. They hired 30 Filipino dealers and webcast baccarat games being staged at the casino to domestic online participants. In order to assure online gamblers they were taking part in real-time games, the ring depicted CNN broadcasts in its online coverage.

■ MALAYSIA

Loot too much for robbers

Two armed robbers hijacked a security van with US$1.3 million inside, but were forced to abandon more than half the cash because their small getaway car could not carry it all, police said yesterday. The robbers and their compact getaway car were still at large with 1.8 million ringgit (US$524,000) following Monday’s heist near Kuala Lumpur, police said. The robbers stole a small car then held up guards in the security van at a shopping mall. One robber drove the van away and the other followed in the car. The van was recovered nearby with nine bags containing 2.7 million ringgit inside — evidently because they did not fit in the compact car, police said.

This story has been viewed 2165 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top