Group kills ‘voyeur’
A group of some 20 men attacked and killed a man whom they accused of voyeurism in a village in the northern state of Perlis, a news report said yesterday. Hatib Leman, 35, died hours after being rushed to a hospital after the group of men attacked him and his wife on Saturday, the New Straits Times daily said. The men had confronted Leman, a laborer, and accused him of being a “peeping Tom.” A fight ensued, resulting in the attack, the report said. Police have detained six villagers, between the ages of 30 and 40 and are investigating the involvement of several others, the report said.
Child populations falling
The number of children has fallen for the 27th straight year to hit a new low, the government said yesterday in a sign of the country’s rapidly aging population. Children aged 14 or younger numbered 17,250,000 as of April 1, down by 130,000 from a year earlier, the internal affairs ministry said in an annual survey released to coincide with the Children’s Day holiday yesterday. The figure is the lowest since 1950 when comparable data was first recorded. The ratio of children to the total population sank for 34 years in a row to 13.5 percent, also a record low, the ministry said. The average number of children a woman has during her lifetime has been hovering around 1.3, well below the 2.07 seen as necessary to maintain the population at current levels.
Travel proposal rejected
The home ministry rejected a proposal yesterday to impose restrictions on women traveling overseas on their own following an outcry from women’s groups. Home Minister Syed Hamid Albar said his ministry could not impose conditions requiring women to get written consent from their family before they could travel abroad alone. Foreign Minister Rais Yatim said on Saturday both the foreign and home ministries mooted the idea in response to a string of cases where women traveling alone were used by international drug syndicates to smuggle drugs across borders.
Timorese rebels extradited
Four rebels wanted over armed attacks against East Timor’s president and prime minister were extradited amid tight security from Indonesia yesterday. The unidentified four, wearing red T-shirts and handcuffed, were seen boarding a charter plane under heavy armed police escort at the Halim Perdanakusumah airport in East Jakarta. More police were deployed on the runway as the rebels left for East Timor to face justice over the Feb. 11 attacks. Indonesian police arrested the four East Timorese former soldiers — two in a border town in West Timor and two in Jakarta — in the weeks after the failed attacks which almost killed Ramos-Horta.
Bombs wound 16
Sixteen people, including three girls, were wounded in two separate bomb blasts among the latest separatist violence in the insurgency-wracked south, police said yesterday. A bomb in an iron box was planted in front of the house of the deputy provincial governor of Narathiwat and triggered by a digital watch on Sunday night, local police said. The blast wounded 12 people, including three girls who had been visiting an annual fair. Another bomb was triggered yesterday morning in Ra Ngae district when soldiers were inspecting the area where militants had put up a board attacking government officials.