The Philippine army chief has ordered the dishonorable dismissal of 26 soldiers accused of abandoning their provincial camp to join a failed attempt to overthrow the president last year, officials said yesterday.
The 26 members of the army's elite Scout Ranger Regiment have been detained by the military since they were linked to last year's February coup plot that was quashed by loyal generals and prompted President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo to declare a weeklong state of emergency.
Army spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Ernesto Torres said there was strong evidence of the soldiers' involvement in the failed uprising, but army chief Lieutenant General Alexander Yano decided to dismiss them without a court martial, partly due to their long detention.
A lawyer representing the group of soldiers, Vicente Verdadero, said the 26 were actually pro-Arroyo forces who were ordered to leave their camp in the Bicol region, southeast of Manila, to support the president in the capital.
On their way to the capital, the soldiers were intercepted by loyal army troops and detained on suspicion they planned to take part in the coup. The soldiers were later locked up in a camp near Manila and investigated.
The military suspected the 26 soldiers were among forces sympathetic to alleged military coup plotters, who are currently detained while facing a court martial.
Under the alleged plot, mutinous troops were supposed to march from their Manila camps, then withdraw their support from Arroyo during a rally at a democracy shrine.
Arroyo has survived at least three failed power grabs since being catapulted to power after President Joseph Estrada was ousted in a nonviolent "people power" revolt, involving mass public demonstrations, in 2001.
Coup rumors have since persisted, often related to a series of corruption scandals hounding Arroyo's government.
Meanwhile, the government and separatist rebels said yesterday they have overcome an impasse in peace negotiations over the size of a future Muslim homeland and are ready to resume formal talks before the end of the year.
The breakthrough in the long-running negotiations to settle a decades-long rebellion in the south came during the latest round of informal talks in neighboring Malaysia, which ended on Wednesday, the two sides said in a joint statement.
"The peace process is firmly back on track towards the holding of the formal talks before the end of the year," said the statement, signed by Moro Islamic Liberation Front negotiator Mohagher Iqbal and his government counterpart, Rodolfo Garcia.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against