Flood aftermath kills 48
The UN said on Tuesday that massive flooding since mid-June had caused 48 deaths from acute diarrhea and totally or partially destroyed over 62,000 houses. As many as one million people could be affected by the torrential seasonal rains that have caused flash floods in the east, south and center of the country, a government statement also warned. There have been nearly 700 cases of acute diarrhea, causing 48 deaths, in the eastern region of Kassala on the border with Ethiopia, the UN office for coordination of humanitarian affairs said in a statement. Acute diarrhea is caused by poor hygiene conditions as well as by contaminated waters in flooded zones.
Explosives seized in suburb
Security services have seized large quantities of explosives in a suburb of the capital, Khartoum, and arrested 20 people for interrogation, the justice minister said on Tuesday. Police and security forces seized "huge quantities" of cylinders used to produce various explosive devices, 18 sacks of ammunition containing hundreds of bullets and four cylinders filed with explosive material, one of which was ready for use, Justice Minister Mohamed Ali al-Mardi was quoted as saying by the official news agency, SUNA. The raid took place in Hatana, a quiet suburb north of Omdurman -- one of the three town districts that form the capital -- he said.
Six men found murdered
Six Italian men, aged 16 to 39, were fatally shot in the western town of Duisburg, a police spokesman said yesterday. Five bodies were found in two cars near the train station at 2:30am and a sixth victim died in an ambulance, police spokesman Hermann-Josef Helmich said. All six were shot in the head, Helmich said. Police did not know yet who could have committed the killings or what the motive might have been, he said. "A witness heard the shots and stopped a police patrol car which was incidentally driving nearby," police spokesman Reinhard Pape said.
Missing swimmer rescued
A man swept out to sea by strong currents last week while swimming at a beach was rescued alive after three days in the water, authorities said on Tuesday. The 43-year-old man was found semiconscious in the sea late on Monday by holiday-makers at a beach near Aigio, some 180km west of Athens, the Merchant Marine Ministry said. His wife had declared the man missing on Friday, after he failed to return from a swim at a beach some 25km east of Aigio. The man, who was not identified, was treated in hospital for hypothermia.
Man detained for video
Police detained a man yesterday for the suspected distribution over the Internet of a video showing the apparent murder of two men by neo-Nazis, Interfax reported, quoting an Interior Ministry source. The man was held in the town of Maikop, capital of the Adygeya Republic in south. The three-minute film purported to show the beheading of one man and the shooting of another as part of a neo-Nazi promotional video. It is still uncertain if the video material is authentic. The grainy video shows two men posing before a swastika and two others being tied up before apparently being killed in turn.
■ UNITED STATES
Oliver back behind bars
For the second time in two weeks, Oliver, a nine-year-old capuchin monkey at the Tupelo Buffalo Park and Zoo in Mississippi, escaped his cage. "I know he wasn't happy when we caught him the last time," zoo manager Kirk Nemechek said. He had spent US$300 on new locks for the cage Oliver shares with Baby, another of the park's five capuchins. The locks were installed Friday. On Monday, Oliver got out of his cage, the new locks on the ground. At 2pm on Tuesday the zoo got a tip-off and sent zookeepers and police officers to round up the escapee. Nemechek said he would try titanium locks next.