Clutching a photo of her son, Maria Carvajal walked Tijuana's sweltering streets searching for the mentally disabled man she said was deported more than a month ago despite being a US citizen and then disappeared in this chaotic border city.
Carvajal said she has searched hospitals, shelters and jails looking for her 29-year-old son, Pedro Guzman of Lancaster, California, who was jailed for a misdemeanor trespassing violation, then sent to Mexico on May 11.
Guzman's relatives sued the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department last week in federal court, claiming Guzman was a US citizen and had been wrongfully deported and demanding that US authorities help find him.
"I'm searching for him because he's my son. But it should be [US authorities] searching for him," Carvajal, a 49-year-old fast-food restaurant worker from Lancaster, said on Sunday in Tijuana. "They made the mistake. Not me."
US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) confirmed Guzman had been deported and said the agency had done so correctly.
"ICE has no reason to believe that it improperly removed Pedro Guzman," a statement read.
Officials at the US consulate in Tijuana said they have made calls to help search for Guzman and asked other consulates in Mexico if they have information.
"We are doing things to help that we are not obliged to do," consulate spokeswoman Lorena Blanco said.
Carvajal, a brown-haired woman with glasses who carries a piece of paper bearing a photo of her son, said he called the family on May 11 to say he was deported but the telephone cut off before she could find out where he was.
She said she never thought she would end up having to search Tijuana's hospital and morgues for her son, but vowed to keep on doing it because "I have to." She was not carrying her son's birth certificate with her, saying her main concern was finding him.
Guzman can't read or write and has trouble processing information. Carvajal fears he could be an easy victim for robbers.
The lawsuit said Guzman was asked about his immigration status in jail and responded that he was born in California of Mexican parents.
Sometime after that, the Sheriff's Department identified him as a non-citizen, obtained his signature for voluntary removal from the US and turned him over to Customs and Immigration Enforcement, a division of DHS, for deportation.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California, which helped file the lawsuit, said it has Guzman's birth certificate showing he was born at Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center.
It also said that Guzman had previously done jail time for drug possession and had a record that could have been cross-checked before a deportation decision was made.
The Sheriff's Department has said that it followed the correct procedures.
In California, Guzman's brother, Michael Guzman, said last week that during a telephone call to the family the 29-year-old said he had been deported and asked a passer-by where he was. The family could hear the person respond: "Tijuana."
Michael Guzman said his parents were from Mexico, but seven children, including Pedro, were born in California. Pedro, who takes the surname of his father, speaks English and Spanish.
Carvajal said she keeps seeing glimpses of people on the Tijuana streets that she thinks are her son and runs toward them.
But each time she finds she is mistaken.
"I have to fight for my son," she said.
Henry Tong (湯偉雄) and Elaine To (杜依蘭) were preparing to spend their first wedding anniversary in separate prison cells until their acquittal for rioting during Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests. There were gasps and tears of relief in court on Friday last week as a judge declared prosecutors had failed to prove that the couple took part in clashes with police in July last year. The pair walked free in a ruling that has potential consequences for hundreds of other protesters facing similar charges. However, they have a long journey ahead as they try to rebuild their lives and business. “We have already been punished,”
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable