US soldiers at the scene of a suicide attack in the Afghan capital of Kabul yesterday "mistakenly" opened fire, killing one person and wounding another, a city police chief said.
"US forces mistakenly fired on people. One was killed, one wounded and there is a demonstration," Kabul police official Alishah Paktiawal said. "People are coming from every direction."
The Afghan interior ministry offered the same account of events.
"US forces opened fire on people, killed one and injuring another one," ministry spokesman Zemarai Bashary said.
"There is now a demonstration protesting the firing," he said.
The US-led coalition and the separate NATO-led force could not immediately confirm the deadly shooting.
Earlier, the suicide car bomb exploded near a convoy of NATO's International Security Assistance Force in a busy residential area on the west side of the city.
The attack in western Kabul also wounded four civilians and a foreigner, General Ali Shah Paktiawal said.
He said a NATO vehicle and seven civilian vehicles were damaged in the attack.
The bomber also died, he said.
Zabiullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, claimed the group's responsibility for the blast.
The NATO assistance force said it was looking into the report of the attack, but had no further information.
Witnesses gave a higher casualty count than police, saying seven or eight people died.
The blast came amid a wave of violence lashing Afghanistan, particularly the volatile south, including a suicide blast on Friday that targeted a NATO convoy at Tirin Kot in Uruzgan Province, killing 10 people including five children and a Dutch soldier.
Kabul has been spared the worst of this year's bloodshed, which has claimed 2,300 lives so far, mostly insurgents, according to a count based on figures from officials from the US, NATO, the UN and Afghanistan.
Yesterday's blast destroyed the suicide attacker's car, wrecked other civilian vehicles in the area including a taxi and shattered windows of homes and shops at the roadside.
There are growing concerns for the health of Rokia Traore, a Malian singer who has been on hunger strike at the Fleury-Merogis Prison near Paris since she was arrested on March 10 on allegations of kidnapping her daughter in a child custody dispute. “I am very worried,” said Kenneth Feliho, her lawyer. “She is only drinking. She has not been eating for over a week and her immune system is weak.” Among those calling for the musician’ release are African stars including Salif Keita, Youssou N’Dour and Angelique Kidjo. Damon Albarn, who performed with her in the group Africa Express, wrote: “We demand,
FATAL IDEA: The nation’s drugs regulator is curbing use of hydroxychloroquine, which Donald Trump has promoted for its alleged potential to treat COVID-19 Australia’s drug regulator has been forced to restrict powers to prescribe a drug undergoing clinical trials to treat COVID-19, because doctors have been inappropriately prescribing it to themselves and their family members, despite potentially deadly side effects. The anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine and the similar compound chloroquine are currently used mostly for patients with autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, but stocks in Australia have been diminished thanks to global publicity — including from US President Donald Trump — about the potential of the drug to treat COVID-19. Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have potentially severe and even deadly side effects if used inappropriately, including
Female flight attendants working for Japan Airlines would next month be allowed to wear trousers and abandon high heels, the company said on Thursday, after a feminist campaign took off. The airline became one of the first major Japanese firms to announce the shift after a campaign known as #KuToo last year rejected mandatory high heels at work, drawing more than 32,000 signatures in an online petition. The campaign is part of a wider feminism movement in Japan, with Japan Airlines saying that the new policy was aimed at boosting a “diverse working environment.” PANTS PERMIT “This will be the first time to introduce
TARGETED: Although hackers are known to be seeking to capitalize on concern over COVID-19, a cybersecurity expert said he had never seen anything to this extent before Elite hackers tried to break into the WHO earlier this month, sources said, part of what a senior agency official said was a more than two-fold increase in cyberattacks. The identity of the hackers was unclear and the effort was unsuccessful, WHO Chief Information Security Officer Flavio Aggio said. However, he warned that hacking attempts against the agency and its partners have soared as they battle to contain COVID-19, which has killed more than 15,000 worldwide. The attempted break-in at the WHO was first flagged to Reuters by Alexander Urbelis, a cybersecurity expert and attorney with the New York-based Blackstone Law Group,