Arab leaders briefed key international players on a newly revived Arab initiative to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict but decided to hold off on approaching Israel because of its ongoing political turmoil.
The informal meeting between Arab ministers and leaders of the Quartet that drafted the roadmap to Mideast peace -- the US, the EU, the EU and Russia -- took place on Friday at the end of two days of meetings to try to restore stability to Iraq.
"It was a very good meeting and there has been a very good exchange of ideas," Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit said after the closed-door session.
The Arab League on April 18 chose Egypt and Jordan -- the two Arab countries that have diplomatic relations with Israel -- to take the lead in approaching Israel to promote the Arab Peace Initiative, which was introduced by Saudi Arabia in 2002 and revived during an Arab summit in Riyadh in March.
Asked when Egypt and Jordan would be going to meet the Israelis, Aboul Gheit said: "Do you think that the Israelis are in a position to receive anybody? Of course not."
A highly critical report on Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's handling of last summer's Israeli war against Hezbollah in Lebanon has led to calls for his resignation, his foreign minister's withdrawal of support, rock bottom poll numbers and an enormous protest rally in Tel Aviv.
Israel has praised the broad land-for-peace Arab offer but has said it will not accept the plan without some changes. Arab countries are hoping to pitch the initiative as a basis for resuming Arab-Israeli peace negotiations.
The Quartet was represented at Friday's meeting by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, and EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana and EU external affairs commissioner Benita Ferrero Waldner. Many Arab ministers also attended.
"I was very much encouraged by this opportunity of engaging in direct, very candid dialogue with the Arab partners," Ban said.
"We agreed to meet again. The Quartet principals are going to meet sometime in the middle of May and on that occasion we may have another opportunity of engaging in an informal setting with Arab leaders," he said.
Aboul Gheit said that a decision on approaching Israel would likely wait until after the next Quartet meeting.
Ban called the relaunch of the Arab initiative "encouraging," saying it can "provide a good starting point for the negotiations."
At Friday's informal meeting, Arab nations briefed the Quartet about the initiative and there was an informal discussion around the table on how to promote and facilitate the peace process, Ban said.
"There was an agreement that we should really seize this moment in the ongoing peace process," he said.
The EU's Ferrero-Waldner said "it was a very good exchange of views and we will go on in the future because we all are committed to this peace process."
The Arab and international parties have to see how to move ahead on the Arab initiative, "how this can make a difference."
Earlier, Ferrero-Waldner also said it was a difficult time to deal with the Israelis.
"It's clear they are momentarily in a crisis," she said. "This will certainly not help, but Israelis are a very democratic country and it has its own institutions to get out of the crisis, and they will decide whether the prime minister stays or whether there is any change."
"We do hope that not a lot of time is lost," Ferrero-Waldner said.
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
A squad of gun-toting police officers patrolled Myanmar’s sacred site of Bagan under the cover of night, taking on plunderers snatching relics from temples forsaken by tourists due to COVID-19 restrictions. Each evening as dusk falls, about 100 officers fan out across the plain of Bagan covering 50km2, sweeping flashlights over the crumbling monuments to scour for intruders. “Our security forces are patrolling day and night,” Police Lieutenant Colonel Sein Win told reporters. “We have it under control for the moment, but it’s a challenge.” The central Burmese city is strewn with more than 3,500 ancient monuments — stupas, temples, murals and sculptures
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un warned against the “hasty” relaxation of anti-coronavirus measures, state media reported on Friday, indicating the country would keep its borders closed for the foreseeable future. North Korea in late January closed its borders as the virus spread in neighboring China, and imposed tough restrictions that put thousands of its people into isolation. Pyongyang insists it has not had a single case of COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus that has swept the world infecting more than 10.8 million people and killing more than 500,000. Analysts have said that North Korea is unlikely to have avoided the contagion