A leader of Zimbabwe's opposition described how she was tortured for attending a prayer meeting last month and called for an international campaign to end the abduction, arrests and beatings of opponents of Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe.
Grace Kwinjeh, who said she is still receiving treatment for an internal head injury and other injuries from the March 11 attack, called herself and a 64-year-old woman who eventually were allowed to go to South Africa for medical treatment "the two lucky ones" because they are out of Zimbabwe.
Kwinjeh spoke on Wednesday at a news conference at the UN Correspondents Association that was organized by the Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa. It is part of the Open Society Institute founded by global philanthropist George Soros.
In Zimbabwe, demonstrations and a national strike in the past month have been thwarted largely by the heavy deployment of police and troops and violent police action that crushed the March 11 prayer meeting that the government said was a political protest banned under sweeping security laws.
Opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai, who heads the Movement for Democratic Change, and other pro-democracy activists including Kwinjeh, the movement's deputy secretary for international relations, were assaulted by police while under arrest.
Kwinjeh told how she was beaten with an iron bar and lost part of an ear.
"After they tortured me, I stayed for about 72 hours without access to my lawyers," she said.
She said she ended up in hospital under guard by riot police and a gun pointed at her, but the High Court eventually ordered the riot police to leave "since there was no credible case against us."
Because of her head wound, arrangements were made for her and the other woman to go to South Africa, but they were stopped at the airport and spent another four days in hospital under riot police guard before lawyers got a court order for the two to leave for six weeks.
After they landed in South Africa, she said, 28 colleagues were rearrested, tortured, hospitalized and then taken from the hospital to prison where five are in a "very bad state," barely able to move or eat.
"After what I went through, I thought an international campaign for these 28 colleagues" should be launched, said Kwinjeh, who spent five weeks in a South African hospital before flying to New York.
"I really thank God that I'm lucky to be out here to be able to tell my story. But ... I can't tell my story without bringing to attention Zimbabweans who are being attacked every day," she said.
"So far, over 600 of our activists have been abducted. In the Movement for Democratic Change half of our staff have been arrested on charges of treason. So that is the increased repression, that is what the opposition in Zimbabwe is faced with," Kwinjeh said.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against