Rescuers found the bodies of three people who were swept out to sea by huge waves triggered by a powerful earthquake that sent avalanches crashing into a fjord in southern Chile. Seven others were missing.
While there was no tsunami, Saturday's 6.2-magnitude earthquake caused masses of rock and earth to plunge from surrounding hills into the narrow inlet, creating 8m waves.
The roaring, white-capped water destroyed boats, uprooted trees and overwhelmed beachgoers. Police Major Claudio Escobar said on Sunday that the search would continue until the seven missing people had been located.
A correspondent for Chilevision television, who was at the beach to install an antenna, said he saw a man and his young daughter dragged into the water by a large wave.
"There were some boats in the area and waves destroyed them," Orlando Adriazola said. "The boat we arrived in was thrown on top of a tree, partly destroyed."
The government's Emergency Bureau identified the three bodies as Ernesto Contreras, 65; his wife, Elsa Poblete, 54; and their two-year-old grandson Genaro Linay. They were found in Aysen Fjord, near the epicenter of the quake. The seven missing people weren't identified.
Meanwhile, Chilean President Michele Bachelet arrived on Sunday and was met by protests from angry residents who say the government has been slow to offer assistance following several months of seismic activity in the region.
After touring the area, Bachelet said the government would reinforce the area's health services with more doctors and ambulances, as well sending a helicopter and a power generator in case of a new emergency.
Public Works Minister Eduardo Bitran and a team of engineers were to fly to the area yesterday to check a local bridge that was damaged by the quake, she said.
Bachelet also was considering releasing emergency funds to the area, located about 2,050km south of the Chilean capital, Santiago.
Juan Cayupi, a volcanologist investigating the earthquake for the government, said it "triggered several landslides from neighboring hills into the sea, causing the level of water to rise steeply, violently, in the form of huge waves."
Cayupi, who was at the fjord at the time of the quake, said by telephone that the waters were calm on Sunday.
Saturday's early afternoon quake sent people into the streets in a panic at Puerto Aysen and Puerto Chacabuco, the closest cities to the fjord, with a combined population of 35,000.
Puerto Aysen Mayor Oscar Catalan was at the beach and saw six people being pulled away by the current, the Chilean newspaper El Mercurio said.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses