The formal opening of economic aid talks between North and South Korea was delayed yesterday because of a procedural problem, as the South planned to urge the North to carry out its nuclear disarmament obligations.
Seoul wanted to use the economic meetings -- aimed at discussing aid to the impoverished North -- to appeal to Pyongyang to implement its February pledge to start dismantling its atomic weapons programs, according to pool reports that cited an unidentified South Korean delegate.
The two sides were scheduled to hold their first negotiating session yesterday morning. But the meeting was being delayed after the North demanded it see a text of the South's keynote speech and the South rejected the demand, pool reports said.
Still, the two sides were to have lunch together, the reports said.
The meetings in Pyongyang, which began on Wednesday and will run through tomorrow, come after North Korea failed to meet a deadline last Saturday to shut down its sole operating nuclear reactor.
The North has said it is waiting for a separate financial dispute to be resolved around some US$25 million in funds frozen after Washington blacklisted a Macau bank for alleged complicity in North Korean money laundering and counterfeiting.
South Korea's deputy nuclear negotiator, Lim Sung-nam, planned to visit Beijing later yesterday to meet his newly appointed Chinese counterpart for talks expected to focus on the nuclear standoff, Seoul's Foreign Ministry said.
South Korea has said it would discuss the North's request for 400,000 tonnes of rice at this week's economic talks -- the 13th such session -- but it remained unclear whether Seoul would go ahead with shipping the food. The two countries were also expected to discuss test runs of trains across restored rail lines across the heavily armed border.
At an opening banquet on Wednesday evening, the North pressed the South to separate the two issues.
"We work in the strict principle of the separation of politics and economics," North Korean Senior Cabinet Councilor Kwon Ho-ung said, according to pool reports. "Let's implement already agreed-upon issues, overcome barriers bravely and advance grandly as united people."
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses