UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called on Thursday for the immediate release of a BBC journalist abducted in the Gaza Strip a month ago and offered to help secure his freedom.
The correspondent, Alan Johnston, has been held longer than any other foreign journalist seized in the Gaza Strip.
There has been no claim of responsibility for the kidnapping.
"I sincerely hope that those who are responsible for this abduction should release him unconditionally and immediately," Ban told reporters. "I am deeply concerned. I will do whatever I can in my capacity as secretary-general."
"Freedom of coverage, as well as freedom of the press, should be protected as a matter of principle," Ban said.
Mark Thompson, BBC director general, met Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in the West Bank city of Ramallah on Wednesday night and was told there was "credible evidence" that Johnston is alive.
The BBC has not had any direct contact with the kidnappers who seized the journalist at gunpoint as he drove home from his office in Gaza City on March 12.
Speaking in London, Johnston's father read out an emotional open letter to his son and the kidnappers. The BBC and other international news channels, including al-Jazeera English and Sky News, then aired a jointly produced half-hour program about the kidnap.
Palestinian journalists gathered at a rally in Gaza and posters of Johnston were displayed in Edinburgh, Glasgow and in Trafalgar Square in central London.
More than a dozen journalists and foreign aid workers have been kidnapped in Gaza in recent months, but Johnston, 44, has now been held longer than any other hostage. He has lived in Gaza City for the past three years -- the only foreign correspondent permanently based there -- but was due to return to a staff job with the BBC in London two weeks ago.
No one has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping, although it is presumed to be the work of one of the large criminal clans.
A new coalition government was supposed to bring an end to the security crisis in Gaza, but the fact that Johnston's kidnap has dragged on so long suggests that the government is at a loss to deal with the problem.
"The only thing being destroyed by such despicable acts is the Palestinian cause," said Saeb Erekat, the chief Palestinian negotiator.
In Ramallah, Thompson called for a swift end to the kidnapping: "I appeal to all those who may have influence with the kidnappers, to use their best endeavors to secure Alan's release safely and speedily and ensure his return."
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting