The Pentagon will call up 12,000 National Guard soldiers for service in Iraq to fill gaps in the overworked army, a news report said on Thursday.
The National Guard is a volunteer militia but they will receive an involuntary call-up to report for duty in Iraq, NBC News said.
The Pentagon said it had no immediate comment on the report.
Guard units are based in each US state. Four states will provide the troops from four brigades, the TV network said, citing unnamed Defense Department sources.
The call-up follows closely US President George W. Bush's controversial "surge" of 21,000 troops, meant to quell the sectarian violence as well as al-Qaeda fighters determined to sow chaos.
However, US troops are being rotated in and out of Iraq, sometimes without the usual training, sometimes without the customary 12 months' rest at US bases.
Pentagon sources told NBC that the orders for the deployment awaited Secretary of Defense Robert Gates' approval.
Democrats, who control both houses of Congress, have been trying to hem in Bush, by conditioning continued war funding on setting a timeline for drawing down troop levels in Iraq.
The Pentagon said on Thursday that some 145,000 US troops are serving in Iraq.
Some 3,250 US troops have also died in Iraq since the March 2003 invasion, according to a count based on Pentagon figures.
A US Defense Department spokesman said on Monday that some 30,000 additional US troops sent as reinforcements to Iraq will remain in the war-torn country until at least the end of August.
The Pentagon would deploy 7,000 troops to replace units on their way out of Iraq, a move that would allow the reinforcements to remain in the country until at least late August, spokesman Bryan Whitman said.
Meanwhile, a truck bomb exploded in the volatile Iraqi city of Ramadi yesterday, killing at least 20 people and releasing chlorine gas into the air, police and security sources said.
Police Colonel Tareq Dulaimi from Ramadi said the bomb, which targeted a police patrol, wounded as many as 30 people. He said people were also choking from the gas.
There has been a spate of chlorine truck bomb attacks in recent months, mainly in western Anbar Province. US commanders and Iraqi police have blamed al-Qaeda militants for several of the chlorine attacks.
Anbar Province has been a stronghold of the Sunni insurgency but many tribes in the region recently switched allegiance, with large numbers of military-age men joining the police force and Iraqi army in a bid to expel al-Qaeda fighters from Iraq.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting