Two walkers missing since mid-February in the jungle of French Guiana turned up on Thursday after having spent seven weeks living off river water, seeds -- and the meat of two turtles.
Frenchmen Loic Pillois, 34, turned up at the small town of Saul, central Guiana, at 10am.
He tipped off the authorities that his friend Guilhem Nayral, 34, was about six hours walk away to the south and the emergency services found him and airlifted him to safety four hours later.
"We found him stretched out on the ground, completely exhausted, very thin, dehydrated, but not injured," said Martin Andre, deputy commander of the local police.
"When I took him in my arms, he burst into tears," he added.
Nayral is being treated at Cayenne hospital, where a spokesman said he was being treated for extreme fatigue.
Pillois, who arrived a little earlier, was interviewed by local police before also being admitted for treatment. Although he seemed weak, he was strong enough to get out of the helicopter without help.
The only thing he said was: "It's really hot."
Local officials opened an investigation in the middle of last month over their disappearance and about 40 police officers searched the jungle for three weeks last month.
The search was scaled down to just eight men toward the end of last month.
The two walkers had headed off in the middle of February for the Grand Kanori rapids, on the banks of the river Approuague, in the heart of Guiana.
They had only intended to stay there 10 days, but had become lost despite their maps and compasses.
Pillois told the police that they survived the seven weeks drinking river water, eating seeds and the flesh of two turtles that they had managed to kill.
Pillois' wife said from Toulouse, in southwest France, that she was never really worried about the pair.
"Five years ago, they had already walked around Saul, with a friend who was an expert in insects," she said.
"He told them that if they got lost in the jungle, they could always eat certain bugs," she said.
TARNISHED LEGACY: Woodrow Wilson served as the university’s president before becoming the US’ 28th leader, but his racism was ‘significant and consequential’ Princeton University is removing former US president Woodrow Wilson’s name from its public policy school and one of its residential colleges after trustees concluded that the 28th president’s “racist thinking and policies” made him “an inappropriate namesake.” The Ivy League school’s trustees made the decision on Friday, according to a statement on Saturday. It comes at a time of widespread rethinking of the US’ racial legacy. The Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, energized by a series of high-profile deaths of black Americans, has resulted in the removal of Confederate monuments, flags and symbols of racism across the US. Deleting Wilson’s name at Princeton
‘FULLY ENCLOSED’: Residents of Anxin County would be confined to their homes and would only be allowed out once a day to buy necessities such as food and medicine China yesterday imposed a strict lockdown on nearly half a million people near the capital to contain a fresh COVID-19 cluster as authorities warned the outbreak was still “severe and complicated.” After China largely brought the virus under control, hundreds have been infected in Beijing and cases have emerged in Hebei Province. Health officials said that Anxin County — about 150km from Beijing — would be “fully enclosed and controlled,” the same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the city of Wuhan earlier this year. Only one person from each family would be allowed to go out once a
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around