Ethiopia was under pressure on Thursday to release details of detainees from 19 countries held at secret prisons in the country, where US agents have carried out interrogations in the hunt for al-Qaeda in the Horn of Africa.
Canada, Eritrea and Sweden were lobbying for information about their citizens in Ethiopia, where human rights groups say hundreds of prisoners, including women and children, have been transferred secretly and illegally. An Associated Press investigation found that CIA and FBI agents have been interrogating the detainees.
Officials from Ethiopia, which has a troubling human rights record, were not immediately available for comment, but in the past have refused to acknowledge the existence of the prisons.
Canadian Foreign Affairs spokesman Rejean Beaulieu said of Canadian citizen Bashir Makhtal: "We know that he is in Ethiopia."
"We've been making, and continue to make representations both here in Ottawa and in Ethiopia to get access to him," he said.
Some detainees were swept up by Ethiopian troops that drove a radical Islamist government out of Somalia late last year, Kenyan officials and police said.
Others have been deported from Kenya, where many Somalis have fled the continuing violence in their homeland, they said.
The detainees include at least one US citizen while others are from Canada, Sweden and France, a list compiled by a Kenyan Muslim rights group and flight manifests showed. They also included citizens from Eritrea, Saudi Arabia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Tunisia and Morocco.
Eritrea has asked Kenyan authorities for details on three of its citizens, handed over to Somalia on Jan. 20 and who human rights groups say are in Ethiopia.
"At this juncture, the government of Eritrea again calls on the Kenyan authorities to get the three Eritrean citizens released at the earliest and repatriate them to their country," a statement by Eritrea's Information Ministry said.
"Furthermore, it reminds the Kenyan authorities that the responsibility for the lives of the Eritrean citizens rests on them," it said.
Kenyan government spokesman Alfred Mutua said the government had no comment to make until it received an official communication from the Eritrean government.
Swedish Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Nina Ersman said they had managed to gain access to Swedish nationals still being detained, including two Swedish citizens and one who holds a permanent residence permit.
"We have visited them, but not in recent days," she said, although she did not know the dates of the visit.
Jonathan Hafetz, a lawyer at the Brennan Center for Justice at the New York University School of Law who has been assisting the family of detained US citizen Amir Mohamed Meshal, 24, said on Thursday he had still not spoken to him.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of