A suicide bomber detonated a taxi cab filled with explosives near Afghanistan's parliament in Kabul yesterday, killing four people, including a policeman, and wounding four others, police said.
The powerful blast was the third suicide attack in the heavily secured capital this year amid a raging insurgency by the fundamentalist Taliban militia, which was ousted by US-led forces in late 2001.
The bomber struck only a few hundred meters from the parliament building, killing three civilians and one policeman, Kabul criminal investigation police chief General Alishah Paktiawal said.
"It was a suicide bombing. Four people were killed and four others were injured. The bomber was driving a yellow and white taxi," Paktiawal said.
Paktiawal said it was unclear whether the bomber was targeting the parliament building.
"It may have detonated prematurely. An investigation is under way," he said.
Iraq-style suicide attacks are common in southern and eastern Afghanistan along the Pakistani border, where the Taliban-led insurgency is at its strongest, but they have previously been rare in Kabul.
Four civilians were killed and another 12 wounded when a suicide bomber targeted an intelligence director's vehicle in Kabul on March 28. The intelligence official survived.
About a week earlier a suicide attacker rammed an explosives-filled car into a US embassy convoy in the capital, wounding five embassy staff and guards and at least three passers-by.
The Taliban have vowed to carry out a wave of suicide blasts this year after nearly 140 last year across the country killed about 200 civilians as well as scores of Afghan and foreign security officials.
In the deadliest suicide attack in Afghanistan this year, 20 people including three foreign soldiers were killed on Feb. 27 at the main US base at Bagram, about 60km from Kabul, while US Vice President Dick Cheney was visiting.
Tens of thousands of US-led and NATO troops are in Afghanistan trying to clamp down on Islamist violence and extend the influence of US-backed President Hamid Karzai.
The Taliban are also stepping up the use of kidnapping as a tactic in the insurgency.
The rebels say they have kidnapped two French aid workers and three of their Afghan colleagues who went missing in Nimroz Province this week. Officials say they believe the Taliban are holding them.
The French nationals have been out of contact with their organization, Terre d'Enfance (A World for Our Children), since Tuesday.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting