Every year, Robert Dourmadji would set aside some of his grain for seed, resisting the temptation to feed his wife and seven children with it even when times got lean as the planting season approached.
This year, though, he had no choice: Pushed from their homes in a nearby village more than three months ago by a rebellion and the scorched-earth counterinsurgency tactics of their country's army, they have been living in desperate conditions.
"What can we do?" he said. "When the rains come we will really suffer."
Dourmadji and hundreds of other people came out of hiding on Friday morning to meet John Holmes, the UN undersecretary-general for humanitarian affairs, who visited the Central African Republic on the last leg of a 10-day visit to the region.
Holmes pledged more aid to help those left homeless by the fighting here, now more than 210,000, and urged aid groups and donors to do more to help this nation, one of the poorest and most unstable in the world.
"They need urgent help before the harvest to make sure they have a harvest," Holmes said.
The crisis in the Central African Republic is now more than two years old, and the fighting has killed thousands of people and caused hundreds of thousands of the country's 4 million people to flee their homes.
Their flight has been so desperate that those who can have run across the border into their troubled neighbors' territory.
About 50,000 people from the northwest have fled into southern Chad, and thousands of residents of the northeastern town of Birao, in a perverse twist, have even fled into the Darfur region of Sudan, where a grim struggle over power, land and identity has raged since 2003.
Jean-Charles Dei, head of the World Food Program in the Central African Republic, said on Friday his organization had no food available to feed 1,700 people hiding in Otah.
UN humanitarian chief in the country Toby Lanzer said that with enough resources it would be easy to save lives.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of