North Korea's chief nuclear negotiator is scheduled to visit New York early next month to follow up the multinational agreement on scrapping his country's nuclear programs, sources said yesterday.
North Korean Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye-gwan was expected to take part in a working group meeting on normalizing US-North Korea relations, a source told South Korean Yonhap news agency.
"No date has been set for his visit but it is likely to last from March 5 through 7," the source said.
An official who spoke to reporters on condition of anonymity confirmed that Kim would go to New York early next month but said he was unsure of the reason.
"It is probably for the purpose of the joint working group but no date has been set for that meeting," the official said.
At six-nation talks in Beijing on Feb. 13, the communist state agreed to shut down and then disable its nuclear facilities in phases.
In return, Pyongyang would receive up to one million tonnes of heavy fuel oil or equivalent economic aid.
As part of the deal the US and North Korea agreed to start talking about establishing full diplomatic relations.
Five working groups are due to meet within 30 days to start planning how to implement it.
Yonhap news agency reported Kim was expected to hold talks with the US' head negotiator, Christopher Hill, in New York.
Hill cautioned on Thursday that there was a "long way to go" to implement the deal and said difficult negotiations still lie ahead on a suspected uranium enrichment project that Washington believes Pyongyang is concealing.
He said the North Koreans had not acknowledged such a program.
"But they have been willing to discuss what we know and to try to resolve this," he said.
Critics have complained the Beijing pact does not address North Korea's existing plutonium stockpile or nuclear bombs, or its suspected uranium program.
US Vice President Dick Cheney said yesterday while visiting Australia the deal was a step towards a better future for North Koreans.
Cheney said however: "We go into this deal with our eyes open. In light of North Korea's missile tests last July, its nuclear test in October and its record of proliferation and human rights abuses, the regime in Pyongyang has much to prove."
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
A squad of gun-toting police officers patrolled Myanmar’s sacred site of Bagan under the cover of night, taking on plunderers snatching relics from temples forsaken by tourists due to COVID-19 restrictions. Each evening as dusk falls, about 100 officers fan out across the plain of Bagan covering 50km2, sweeping flashlights over the crumbling monuments to scour for intruders. “Our security forces are patrolling day and night,” Police Lieutenant Colonel Sein Win told reporters. “We have it under control for the moment, but it’s a challenge.” The central Burmese city is strewn with more than 3,500 ancient monuments — stupas, temples, murals and sculptures