An Indonesian official hit back at critics of a plan to control a gushing mud volcano by dropping concrete balls into its crater, saying something has to be done to stop a nine-month-long eruption that has displaced 11,000 people.
A team of geologists and engineers planned to lower the first of hundreds of balls into the gaping hole at a gas exploration site on Java island later yesterday.
They hope the plan, believed to have never been tried before, will reduce the amount of mud flowing from the geyser by up to 70 percent.
The mud is now surging out at a rate of about a million oil drums a day.
The plan follows an abandoned attempt to block the flow by pouring in concrete.
Critics have said they doubt the new attempt will work and may be dangerous or cause the mud to flow out from different points.
"Those experts can say what they want, but we have to do something," said Rudi Novrianto, a spokesman for a government task force handling the disaster.
"There is no time to debate and sit around," Novrianto said.
He said laboratory tests by geologists at Indonesia's most respected university had indicated the plan would work.
The team plans to drop five of the chained cement balls, each weighing up to 250kg, and monitor the effect before gradually releasing more balls into the hole, Novrianto said.
Mud volcanos are fairly common along volatile tectonic belts such as the one running below Indonesia and in areas where there are rich oil and natural gas deposits.
Opinions differ about the cause of the mud flow on Java, but experts agree that the flow could last for years.
Some scientists suggest the rupture was triggered by faulty gas exploration techniques by operator PT Lapindo Brantas.
Other research suggests it is the result of increased seismic activity in the area, with the mud flow starting two days after a major earthquake.
Lapindo is a subsidiary of PT Energy Mega Persada, controlled by the family of Indonesian Welfare Minister Aburizal Bakrie.
He has said repeatedly the geyser was sparked by the earthquake and that his company bears no financial liability.
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
LIFELONG LOSS: Jiro Hamasumi, who was not quite born when an atomic bomb hit Hiroshima, lost his father and other relatives, but said he thinks about his father daily As Japan marks 75 years since the devastating attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the last generation of nuclear bomb survivors is working to ensure their message lives on after them. The “hibakusha” — literally “person affected by the bomb” — have for decades been a powerful voice calling for the abolition of nuclear weapons. There are an estimated 136,700 left, many of whom were infants or soon to be born at the time of the attacks. The average age of a survivor now is a little over 83, according to the Japanese Ministry of Health, lending an urgency as they share their testimonies