The foreign ministers of India and Pakistan vowed yesterday to work together to fight terrorism, days after a pair of bombs went off on a Pakistan-bound train, setting off a fire that killed 68 people.
The two men, who met for long-scheduled peace talks and to witness the signing of an agreement to reduce the threat of accidentally triggering a nuclear war, said the peace process would move forward.
"There are no words strong enough to condemn this act of heinous crime," Pakistan Foreign Minister Khursheed Kasuri told reporters. "It has underlined the need for cooperation."
Whoever set off the bombs "will be brought to justice," Indian Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee said.
Mukherjee, however, ruled out the possibility of a joint India-Pakistan investigation.
"As per the law of land, the investigation has to be carried on by India," Mukherjee said.
Officials from the two nations signed an agreement to cut the risk of nuclear weapons accidents between the neighbors and rivals.
The ceremony took place after the talks between Mukherjee and Kasuri wrapped up.
Meanwhile, investigators searched yesterday for two men who were allowed to jump off the shortly before it erupted into flames, police said.
Police released sketches of the two suspects on Tuesday.
The suspects, whose identities were not known, boarded the train when it left New Delhi on Sunday but quickly began arguing with the conductor, insisting they were on the wrong train. They were allowed to jump from the train as it slowed down about 15 minutes before two crude bombs detonated, setting off the fires, Sharad Kumar, a senior police official, said on Tuesday.
The fire destroyed two coaches on the Samjhauta Express, one of the most visible symbols of the India-Pakistan peace process, about an hour after the train left New Delhi. Most of the victims were Pakistani.
So far, only 17 of the 68 bodies have been identified -- 13 Pakistanis and four Indians.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown