Two senior Philippine Roman Catholic bishops yesterday joined calls for the government to release the Melo Commission's report on extra-judicial killings.
Bishops Oscar Cruz and Antonio Ledesma said releasing the report was the "only way to stop unrest on the issue."
"There must be findings in the Melo report that are against the administration. Hence, it resolved to keep it secret," Cruz told local media.
Cruz said the fact that President Gloria Arroyo ordered copies of the report to be given to the European Commission and to UN Special Rapporteur Philip Alston was "enough reason for the government to open the same report to the public."
Ledesma, vice president of the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines, told local media that "the people, particularly the families of the victims, are entitled to know the results of the investigations."
Last year, Arroyo ordered retired Supreme Court justice Jose Melo to head a special commission to investigate the killings.
The report has not been made public, but people familiar with the findings say it blamed certain members of the security forces, as well as communist guerrillas, for the killings.
On Saturday, the government said it was prepared to work closely with the UN and the EU to discover those behind a wave of political murders.
Human rights monitors say more than 830 mainly left-wing activists, including students, politicians and journalists, have been murdered since Arroyo came to power in 2001.
President Arroyo's office said in a statement on Saturday: "We shall continue to work with our partners in the UN and the EU and receive their constructive recommendations on how to proceed effectively in resolving and stopping the incidents of ideologically-motivated killings."
Arroyo has been under intense local and international pressure to stop the bloodshed, which her government has blamed on communist rebels killing each other as part of an internal purge.
The UN Human Rights Commission's special rapporteur on extrajudicial killings, Philip Alston, is currently in the country to meet with families of the victims, as well as with Philippine justices.
The families of several victims of extra-judicial killings were due to meet with Alston yesterday.
Meanwhile, the opposition said yesterday it will ask the country's special anti-graft court to allow former president Joseph Estrada to be released from house arrest so he can campaign for May 14 mid-term elections.
Opposition spokesman Adel Tamano told reporters a motion would be filed in the Sandiganbayan (anti-graft court) today seeking permission for "Estrada's participation" in the campaign.
Estrada, who is under house arrest and on trial for corruption, still remains a major political force in the country.
TARNISHED LEGACY: Woodrow Wilson served as the university’s president before becoming the US’ 28th leader, but his racism was ‘significant and consequential’ Princeton University is removing former US president Woodrow Wilson’s name from its public policy school and one of its residential colleges after trustees concluded that the 28th president’s “racist thinking and policies” made him “an inappropriate namesake.” The Ivy League school’s trustees made the decision on Friday, according to a statement on Saturday. It comes at a time of widespread rethinking of the US’ racial legacy. The Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, energized by a series of high-profile deaths of black Americans, has resulted in the removal of Confederate monuments, flags and symbols of racism across the US. Deleting Wilson’s name at Princeton
‘FULLY ENCLOSED’: Residents of Anxin County would be confined to their homes and would only be allowed out once a day to buy necessities such as food and medicine China yesterday imposed a strict lockdown on nearly half a million people near the capital to contain a fresh COVID-19 cluster as authorities warned the outbreak was still “severe and complicated.” After China largely brought the virus under control, hundreds have been infected in Beijing and cases have emerged in Hebei Province. Health officials said that Anxin County — about 150km from Beijing — would be “fully enclosed and controlled,” the same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the city of Wuhan earlier this year. Only one person from each family would be allowed to go out once a
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around