A religious battle is taking place on the Internet, with two very different groups arguing over the existence of God.
It began in December when Brian Flemming, a 40-year-old filmmaker and playwright based in Los Angeles, started the Blasphemy Challenge, asking people to post videos on YouTube denying the existence of God.
In one video, for example, a teenage girl says, "I know that the Holy Spirit, Jesus Christ, God, the flying spaghetti monster, pink unicorns, all of these made-up entities do not exist."
Those who participate at the Flemming site, blasphemychallenge.com, receive a free DVD of the documentary The God Who Wasn't There, which Flemming wrote, directed and produced. Flemming, a former evangelical Christian turned atheist, said the DVDs cost him about US$25,000. So far, more than 1,000 people have turned on their cameras to deny the existence of God.
The Blasphemy Challenge site advises people how to post their videos on YouTube and how to search for the videos on the YouTube site.
The Flemming Web site so upset Mike Mickey, a 43-year-old police officer from Christiansburg, Virginia, and Steve Buchanan, a 34-year-old carpenter from Henderson, Kentucky, that they began Challenge Blasphemy with their own Web site, challengeblasphemy.com. They are asking Christians to "praise the Lord" with their own videos on YouTube.
Mickey, the married father of three, is also the Web master for RaptureAlert.com, a Web site "sounding the alert that Jesus Christ is coming soon."
The anti-religion perspective has been around on the Internet since its beginning, though using YouTube to express such thoughts is new, said Lorne Dawson, professor of sociology and religious studies at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, who has studied religion and the Internet.
Dawson said: "It is a new twist on a long habit of trolling, baiting and flaming people online and purposely seeking to attract attention and stir up trouble. It is in line with the culture of the Internet and the bad-boy element of the Internet."
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of