Two people were slightly injured yesterday when a package exploded at a business in Wokingham, west of London, a day after a suspected letter bomb blast in the capital, police said.
"Police have evacuated the building and placed a cordon around the scene. An investigation has been launched, though it is likely an item of mail ignited and caused the injuries," said a police statement.
"We are aware of a similar incident in London yesterday but it is too soon to speculate as to whether this is connected," it added, referring to Monday's incident at an office near London's police headquarters Scotland Yard.
Police were called to the incident at a company in Oaklands Business Center, Wokingham shortly after 9am, the statement said, adding: "Two people have sustained minor injuries."
Wokingham is about 60km west of central London.
On Monday, counter-terrorism officers were called in to investigate the explosion at outsourcing firm Capita Group Plc in Victoria Street, which is also near a number of government offices.
A letter bomb exploded in the mailroom of the London company, which controls the capital's traffic congestion charge, slightly injuring a female worker, police said.
The padded envelope exploded at an office belonging to Capita Group PLC, which administers the ?8 (US$16) daily fee meant to cut down on traffic in central London and collects television licensing fees. After the blast police warned that other London businesses should be alert.
"If they have any suspicion about any device just phone the police in the normal way," a police chief said.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against