British Prime Minister Tony Blair refused on Friday to resign over a "cash-for-honors" police probe despite growing pressure and fears within his Labour Party about its political fallout.
Blair, who has pledged to stand down between July and September, told the BBC he intended to pursue his policy reform agenda until handing over to his successor in the party.
However, opposition leaders have called for him to quit now and top Labour figures are openly worrying about the 10-month investigation's "corrosive" impact now Blair has been questioned by police for a second time as a witness.
The inquiry launched in March 2005 is to establish if Labour and other parties illegally offered seats in parliament's unelected upper chamber, the House of Lords, in return for financial assistance.
Blair said he understood how the probe was "distracting and somewhat obsessive for the media" but added: "It isn't for me."
When pressed by the BBC about whether he should stand down to end the political damage, Blair replied: "I don't think that's the right way to do it.
"I think it would be particularly wrong to do it before the inquiry has even run its course and come to any conclusion. You'll have to put up with me for a little bit longer," the prime minister said.
David Cameron, leader of the main opposition Conservative Party, on Thursday repeated his claim that Blair's authority was draining away, adding the fact he was questioned a second time "only confirmed" he should go "and go soon."
On Thursday it was confirmed that Blair, who last December became the first serving British prime minister to be questioned by police, had been interviewed again last Friday -- again as a witness rather than as a suspect.
The interview was kept secret for six days after police asked for a news blackout "for operational reasons."
Sir Menzies Campbell, the leader of the second opposition party, the Liberal Democrats, said: "He should go sooner rather than later. Until he does the British people themselves have no chance to move on."
Hazel Blears, the Labour party chairman and tipped as a contender to become the party's next deputy leader, said the inquiry was damaging the government's ability to communicate with voters.
"Inevitably, when you have this kind of thing going on for months and months, it does have a corrosive effect," Blears told BBC television late on Thursday.
"It is damaging for politics because there is a corrosive cynicism around that I think is damaging for the country," she said.
The probe has only intensified in the last few weeks.
Lord Michael Levy, Blair's Middle East envoy and chief party fundraiser, was arrested on Tuesday for a second time in the investigation.
The Guardian newspaper said the police demanded Blair keep his questioning secret to see if they could expose Levy giving misleading or contradictory evidence.
Two weeks ago, another key individual close to Blair, Ruth Turner, director of government relations at Downing Street, was also arrested.
Levy was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice before being released on bail, while Turner was held on suspicion of breaching the Honours Act 1925 and perverting the course of justice.
Their arrests, as well as Blair's second round of questioning, have prompted speculation that the police investigation is snowballing towards a conclusion.
Blair's personal pollster, Lord Philip Gould, rejected the suggestion that Blair was an electoral liability, as key May elections loomed in the Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly and English municipal councils.
"The fact that he's been questioned by police a couple of times doesn't turn an outstanding prime minister into an electoral liability," said Gould -- Labour's adviser and strategist in the 1997, 2001 and 2005 general elections.
"We have to take the long view, the public will take the long view and they do believe he is a remarkable prime minister," he told BBC radio.
A coronavirus-free tropical island nestled in the northern Pacific might seem the perfect place to ride out a pandemic, but residents on Palau said that life right now is far from idyllic. The microstate of 18,000 people is among a dwindling number of places on Earth that still report zero cases of COVID-19 as figures mount daily elsewhere. The disparate group also includes Samoa, Turkmenistan, North Korea and bases on the frozen continent of Antarctica. A dot in the ocean hundreds of kilometers from its nearest neighbors, Palau is surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, which has acted as a buffer against the
Dutch scientists have found the coronavirus in a city’s wastewater before COVID-19 cases were reported, demonstrating a novel early warning system for the disease. SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — is often excreted in an infected person’s stool. Although it is unlikely that sewage will become an important route of transmission, the pathogen’s increasing circulation in communities would increase the amount of it flowing into sewer systems, Gertjan Medema and colleagues at the KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein said on Monday. They detected genetic material from the coronavirus at a wastewater treatment plant in Amersfoort on March 5, before
TRUE TOLL? Some Chinese are skeptical about official data, particularly given the overwhelmed medical system and initial attempts to cover up the outbreak The long lines and stacks of urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan, China, are spurring questions about the true scale of casualties at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the coronavirus in the city, where the disease first emerged, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight funeral homes last week. As they did, photographs circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500
‘LIKE A CASSANDRA’: Chinese residents of Prato went into self-imposed lockdown and warned their Italian neighbors about what was coming, but were ignored In the storm of infection and death sweeping Italy, one big community stands out to health officials as remarkably unscathed — the 50,000 ethnic Chinese who live in the town of Prato. Two months ago, the country’s Chinese residents were the target of what Amnesty International described as shameful discrimination, the butt of insults and violent attacks by people who feared that they would spread the coronavirus through Italy. However, in the Tuscan town of Prato, home to Italy’s single biggest Chinese community, the opposite has been true. Once scapegoats, they are now held up by authorities as a model for early,